Moldy Jade stumps

varga21February 17, 2014

I will start by saying that i think I have been over-watering my jade (and will stop that immediately). I haven't changed any conditions recently, no repotting, light changes etc.

One side was growing downward, despite lots of sun and warm location, and the other side was proliferating nicely. One branch (2-3 inches thick) was so heavy that i woke up on the weekend to see it broken and seeping all over the floor. I took a clean sharp knife and cut the end cleanly with a plan to root and pot the broken branch. I thought the end would just dry out?

Now, a couple of days later, the end I cut is full of black mold, and the stalk is becoming soft. I am worried that the other branch that is just slightly below the cutting will also die and fall off. I also don't want the mold to spread to the rest of the healthy plant!
Help! I don't want to cut off the mold, with the risk of just creating the same problem again.

This post was edited by varga21 on Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 12:37

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Make a new clean cut, and dust with cinnamon. Good luck!

That lower branch will most likely have to come off. Looks like the initial cut is too close to avoid it.

Josh

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 12:41PM
varga21

I trimmed and dusted with cinnamon as suggested, but the softness continues further down the stump. I am concerned that trimming more will just make the problem persist and put the roots in jeopardy. How far back from the soft part should I cut? I lost another branch this morning, as well. The soft part tunnels about 2-3 inches from the stump.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 11:48AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Shoot.
Well, unfortunately, you've got to cut back to healthy green tissue. Just keep cutting until the stem is a clean greenwhite, and then dust that cut with cinnamon. Can you post a pic of the entire plant?

Josh

Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 12:12PM
More Discussions
Dirty Cactus
Help! The new growth on my cactus is nice but the...
trini1trini
Echeveria leaves falling off and stem turning dark?
Hello, I'm new on this website and could use some help...
adelalis
Help! what's wrong with these succulents
They are with me just only for 2 months. Their leaves...
hm825
New too indoor succulents, need advice
Hey everybody, So i've recently started trying to grow...
gerettj
How to use excess sedum seedlings?
I purchased seed for Red Carpet Sedum, in preparation...
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™