The best way to start brugs?

elvisFebruary 14, 2012

Hi there, I'm not new to GW but I am new to this Forum. I have to try growing these. Should I start from seed? Cuttings? Whole plant? What is the most cost effective way? And, can I keep them indoors year round as I do with my orchids?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chena(z8 Texas)

WELCOME!!!
Seeds are easy but take a while.. Cuttings are easy take some time. BUT so can a rooted plant.. Kinda depends on you patience Sorry I know not much help.. BUT it is Great to have ya here..;0)

Kylie

Bookmark   February 14, 2012 at 3:29PM
elvis

Thank you, chena! Looks like I may have a line on some cuttings~~

Con.

Bookmark   February 16, 2012 at 9:47AM
karyn1(7a)

Seeds will take a while, probably 2 seasons in your zone. Cuttings or a rooted plant would work best for you. Cuttings are probably the more economical choice and like Kylie said will often bloom in the same amount of time as a rooted plant.

As for the best way to start them- whatever works best for you. lol I'm not trying to be flip but there's several different methods to start cuttings and what works well for one person might not work well for another. Personally I like starting cuttings in a well draining potting medium best. Just make sure to keep them lightly moist. I've had issues with rot setting in if the soil is too damp. Water rooting works well too. There's also cuttings in sphagnum moss rolled up like a jelly roll, rock wool and Oasis cubes. Look thru the threads and you will find all sorts of ways to start cuttings.

Bookmark   February 16, 2012 at 1:35PM
More Discussions
Need Brugs Cuttings
Hello, a few yrs back a very nice woman on this forum...
gardenlady48
Anyone have Painted Lady cuttings?
As common as painted lady used to be i am having trouble...
xeriscape8321
Brug cuttings:
Good morning all, would like to know if anyone has...
plantmasterm
goodgirl35us
Brugmansia cuttings wanted
I'm looking for Brugmansia cuttings I'll pay postage...
rowtow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™