Least invasive milkweed

tamsea(z-5 Ohio)May 18, 2012

I have common milkweed on my property but want to put some milkweed in my garden areas. Anyone know which variety is the least invasive?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tamsea(z-5 Ohio)

I have all sorts of nectar and host plants for butterflies in my garden already.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 9:58AM
tamsea(z-5 Ohio)

Right now I'm looking at Swamp Milkweed (Red, or Cinderella)and Butterfly Weed. Any suggestions on which is least invasive?

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 10:01AM
wifey2mikey(7a Tulsa, OK)

I have tropical milkweed, butterfly weed, and swamp milkweed. I've not had problems with any of them being invasive.

Hope that helps
~Laura

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 10:37AM
tamsea(z-5 Ohio)

Thanks, Laura. That's what I wanted to know.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 11:08AM
terrene(5b MA)

Tropical, swamp and orange milkweeds are clumping and do not spread by runners. They might reseed a bit if you let the plants go to seed.

None are invasive so I would select your preference by color and cultural conditions. Swamp milkweed prefers a moister soil and comes in a pretty pink or white. Fast growing for a perennial milkweed. Butterfly weed (orange) likes good drainage and is very drought tolerant.

I love Asclepias curassavica and grow it like an annual here. Imo it's one of the prettiest milkweeds, plus it makes great caterpillar food.

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 9:44PM
coolbutterfly(5A)

in zone 5, tropical will reseed a little bit but it's not hard to weed them out in spring. Don't count on those volunteers being reliable plants because they get started way too late to sustain many monarchs.

Like Terrene, I LOVE tropical as an annual but start with plants or cuttings for best results. Good luck, Tony

PS...you can easily start with cuttings if you overwinter one or two plants indoors.

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 6:17PM
terrene(5b MA)

Tony, I have read of others who have over-wintered A. curassavica in the garage or basement. How do you overwinter yours? It is so easy to start from seed, that I hadn't thought much about doing that. I over-wintered some Salvia 'Black & Blue' this past winter in the garage and the plants did great (and are now out in the garden) so the tropical milkweed would probably do likewise.

I've got common milkweed that is already 1-2 feet high, and no Monarchs yet, so do I even need the plants earlier? Although maybe it would attract them earlier to the yard if there are more total milkweeds growing.

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 6:55PM
tamsea(z-5 Ohio)

Thanks everyone. I'm placing it in a moist area so I am going to try the Swamp milkweed, IF I can find it. It's sold out everywhere.

Bookmark   May 26, 2012 at 10:44AM
More Discussions
Anyone have advice on wood pupators?
Was out gathering food for my cecropias the other day...
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
Florida Butterflies.
I have posted before. I live in Sarasota, Florida and...
jane__ny
One Butterfly Deformed.
January 31, 2,015, at 1:30 p.m., in the afternoon.........
woollybear69
Sleeving
In another thread ladobe wrote: >Sleeving in the...
drzoidberg
Caterpillars on our Acacia
We bought a little acacia a year ago. I'm not sure...
llilibel03
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™