Pearly Everlasting or Butterfly weed(orange)

sweet_melissa(7)May 7, 2011

Just planted 3 blue chip dwarf butterfly bushes. I am thinking of pairing them with either Pearly everlasting(if I can find them) or the orange butterfly weed(tuberosa). Would love to hear others opinions. Open to other perennial/shrub suggestions as well.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
butterflymomok(7a NE OK)

I like both plants, but for longevity, plant butterfly weed. Pearly everlastings don't ever last through the summer here. Just MHO.

Sandy

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 9:22PM
angie83(9)

Milkweed for win cant go wrong they love it ..Its like 2 for the price of one hehehe host and food.....
Angie

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 11:27PM
bob_71(z7 MD)

Sweet Melissa, I grew Pearly Everlastings last year for the first time. They successfully attracted and hosted American Ladies in their first year. So far this year, the plants have not returned...could be a late emerging perennial or could be one that must be treated as an annual in my area. I am NOT impressed with the plant itself as an ornamental type...it sags badly and the blooms, while attractive in form and color, are really very tiny. If this plant does not come back, I will certainly reorder in the future as an effective host plant. Mine were ordered from Sweet Nectar Nurseries along with half a dozen other varieties...all of which have done very well. I consider them to be on my recommended list of suppliers. Shown below are a few photos of the plant and the caterpillars.

Bob

This is the form and appearance of a mature plant in bloom.

Close-up of the blooms...the caterpillars build nests of these blooms and then consume the nests.

One of the nests with a caterpillar inside.

Opened nest with caterpillar.

Bookmark   May 10, 2011 at 9:49AM
More Discussions
Caterpillars on our Acacia
We bought a little acacia a year ago. I'm not sure...
llilibel03
Spring Azure!
I was working outside on this clear day, and I saw...
misssherry
Camera settings for butterflies...part II
The first part of this series on custom settings established...
bob_71
Looking for a source of beautiful, realistic fake butterflies
I am helping a friend decorate her baby nursery. I...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
Is everyone ready for upcoming SPRING????
I am in Florida. I already made a flower bed inside...
angelimperfect36
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™