What Might Happen?

bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MIFebruary 11, 2014

I have had this Agave for more than 30 years. It was given to me by a dear friend, Louis Kilbert. It has survived more whack jobs than I care to count and always continues to grow a beautiful head. During the winter, I rarely give it any water. In fact, about all it gets is what drips through from the plants above it when I water, which is why I have this situation. Today, while out in the greenhouse, I noticed the crown listing to the side and found it had rotted; what we call crown rot in the orchid business. I cleaned the center meristem area back to green looking material and treated with cinnamon. Because this is a solitary Agave and the meristem may be comprised, would I be correct in assuming its days are numbered and with time all of the leaves will eventually die and I will no longer enjoy this plant that I've had the pleasure of for so many years, which is what usually happens with orchids? Or, might this cause it to grow "pups" from the stem; something that rarely happens with orchids? FYI: That is cinnamon in the crown.

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 15:06

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdsnblooms

Biker, hopefully, your Agave will produce pups.

How much water fell from hanging containers? Seems it would take a lot to cause rot.

Has it been sunny or cloudy in MI? Is your green house cold?

Oh yes, better chance Agave will produce pups than orchids.

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 3:13PM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Thanks, Hopeful. I have a small hobby greenhouse and because this Agave poses some hazards with its needle sharp tips, I keep it under the bench and have done so for years during the winter months with no problems. It was a shock to me finding it this way!!!!! It could be that we have had an especially cold winter and things just didn't dry out fast enough; this is the main reason crown rot occurs with orchids, too. So hopefully, we will grow some pups this summer. For now, it will be kept warm and DRY!

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 3:22PM
birdsnblooms

Yep, this winter has been terribly cold. Icy.

It's possible, since your Agave is on the ground, the temp is even cooler.
I noticed frost-bitten leaves on several plants in my green house that sit on the ground..The same plants have lived in the exact spot for years..'during winter.'

I agree about orchids...my poor babies are kept dry during winter because the room is so chilly..
They're not in a gh, they're in the house..lol.

Good luck, Biker. Hopefully, your agave will produce pups..It's sad, 30-years-old.

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 3:43PM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Just a quick update.... I guess it is better to be lucky than good, sometimes. I noticed today that the meristem area is growing out so maybe the damage didn't extend as deeply as I first thought. You can see from the first picture, a significant number of leaves were rotted. Of course time will tell but things are looking better.

Bookmark   February 18, 2014 at 4:55PM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

In this picture, you can see the advancing growth in the center as compared to the original picture for this thread and it's only been a week!

Bookmark   February 18, 2014 at 4:57PM
plantomaniac08(8)

Wow that looks awesome! That's one tough plant!

Planto

Bookmark   February 18, 2014 at 5:25PM
More Discussions
Lithops wound
what is this? What should I do?
Celeste Jackson
End of Winter Update: Crassula
So the infamously lengthy Canadian winter has finally...
DavidL.ca
What's your growing area look like
Includes patios greenhouses ect. Notice the lack of...
spikef35
What is this and how do I propagate it?
I found this little bud/pup at school the other day...
Alex
What is the name of this succulent?
I'm interested in knowing the names of my plants. I...
frugal_gardening
Sponsored Products
Tech Lighting | Ibiss LED Double Wall Wash Head
$507.20 | YLighting
Justice Design Group POR-8921 - Modular 1 Light Wall Sconce - Cylinder with Flat
$196.20 | Hayneedle
Outdoor Lighting. LV09AB Landscape Lighting Spot Light Low Voltage (12V) Convex
$73.22 | Home Depot
Man Made Leather Jr. Writing Padfolio Multicolor - 743-BLACK-10
$60.00 | Hayneedle
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Concord Global Trading Rugs Jewel Fleur
Home Depot
Deluna Leather Sectional - Brighton Polinesia Blue
Joybird Furniture
Damascus Throw in Gold
$59.99 | Dot & Bo
Portfolio Niles Smoky Charcoal Gray Greek Key Armless Settee