How early to see Black Swallowtails, NJ?

woodnative(6)May 2, 2013

I have a few nice big clumps of Parsley that overwintered, as well as younger plants I am setting out. How early can I expect to see Black Swallowtails and find eggs and caterpillars. Generally find them later in June/July but there should be an earlier group here, yes? I am in NJ.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Leafhead

I've seen them as early as April here in Madison, WI. As soon as you can get Fennel, Dill and/or Parsley really going in your area, you should start seeing your first ELF (Egg Laying Female).
The second brood is in July-August for us, maybe earlier in NJ.
If you're blessed c a third brood, you'll see cats as late as Oct.

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 11:27AM
terrene(5b MA)

I have not seen any flying around here in Mass yet, but I just released the first BST yesterday, which was a small male, out of a group of 6 chrysalises that over wintered outside in a mesh sleeve. The sleeve is hanging on the northeast corner of the house so the chrysalises are taking their cues from nature as to when to emerge.

The Mass. Audubon buttefly atlas says their usual flight period in this state starts in mid-May, so May 1st seems somewhat early. We've had a stretch of pretty warm and dry weather, maybe that's why a butterfly emerged so early. Hope he can find a female to mate with!

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 5:17PM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

I just released my first 2 days ago. But, our weather has been a major factor in delaying the season. Last night it was 36 here. Yesterday's high was about 43. We've been getting these cold fronts once a week for the last month which is very unusual for us. I can't even get my tomato plants in the ground yet. Last year I planted them in March.

Susan

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 7:54AM
JessicaBe(5-6 Central Ohio)

I seen one swallowtail either back or eastern tiger a few weeks ago but that it it except for a ton of cabbage whites.

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 2:21PM
Leafhead

I saw either a Swallowtail or a Mourning Cloak on Sunday. It was flying at quite a clip and I only saw it for a second or two.

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 3:54PM
woodnative(6)

I finally did see a female on Sunday. Weather in NJ has been "beautiful" but really too cool and much too dry for the season. In any case, I did not yet get a chance to check for eggs but there may indeed be some.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 7:42AM
moonwolf_gw

The Eastern Tigers have appeared here just this week. Mom and I just built a new flower bed and there on the most topsoil, she saw three of them puddling! I was away at the time, but she took pictures on her movie camera and showed me.

I have Fennel that germinated for me after WS'ing it and I don't know where to put it since it doesn't like to be near other plants.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 10:41AM
Leafhead

Put it in full sun and give it lots of room.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 4:18PM
caterwallin

I live in central PA and saw one flying around the rue two days ago, so that would be May 4.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 8:46PM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

Brad, it does fine in my garden in very close proximity to other plants such as Hibiscus continues, False Nettle, Black-eyed Susan, Monarda, mums, wildflowers, etc. I had always heard the opposite,that many other plants don't grow well if near Fennel, that it has allelopathic qualities.

Susan

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 6:48AM
Leafhead

I have mine growing c Hollyhocks, Daisies and Hostas s ill effects to either plants. It does like a lot of room, good soil and lots of sun in order to grow well.

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 12:39PM
More Discussions
Coral Honeysuckle
I remember reading that Coral Honeysuckle is a good...
jane__ny
Found a tagged Monarch today
It was on some Milkweed flowers. I could see a white...
jane__ny
Camera settings for butterflies...part II
The first part of this series on custom settings established...
bob_71
2014 Recap w/ Photos
Every winter I like to go through my yardlist and photos...
molanic
This stuff is hard
I have a ten acre prairie restoration that I have made...
rollie
Sponsored Products
14" Round Undermount Bathroom Sink - Black
Signature Hardware
Hex Style Matte Black Outdoor Wall Mount
$39.60 | Bellacor
Forged Leaves Five Arms Glass Chandelier by Hubbardton Forge
$790.00 | Lumens
Sonneman Tuxedo 14 1/2" High Two Light Wall Sconce
Euro Style Lighting
Safavieh Hand-hooked Parrots Black Wool Rug (6' x 9')
Overstock.com
Safavieh Area Rug: Blossom Black/Multi 8.75' x 12'
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™