Planting in rocks

pennyhal(11Sunset23)February 12, 2012

Does anyone grow plants in/on rocks? We have some porous lava type rocks. My husband drilled out a hole about 3 inches wide and a couple of inches deep in it, then a 1/4inch hole through the bottom. Somehow, I don't think this will be a good home for plants. Seems to me that inspite of the bottom hole, the rock will absorb water, or water will get trapped in some of the spaces in the rock and it will keep the plant too wet.

Any opinions on this?

Penny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paracelsus

Sounds like it will make a fine container. Your soil mix is probably much more water retentive compared to the small surface area of the lava rock. Please post a pic when you have it planted with something.

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 6:37PM
cactusmcharris

I agree with Brad, and I've done your idea, Penny, but it was too much work. I now just grow in random piles of rock, but I'm considering building a cairn this year and plugging it with Semps and Sedums. I have a good supply of rockage, but what's in short supply is young back.

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 8:43PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

MY young back needs a forklift.

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 11:53AM
minime8484

Love that this topic has just come up - I've just started to work on rock cairn-like structures to grow a cliff-dwelling cactus (Cleistocactus colademononsis). My goal is that the stems will drape down the cairn similar to how they would do so in the wild...I'll let you know how it turns out!

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 12:07PM
pennyhal(11Sunset23)

I have no clue why my husband did this out of the clear blue sky. I guess he's sort of "helping" me with my hobby. Today he found a bunch of pots for me in the garage. I'll take photos of the rock after he finishes drilling the small hole. Then I'll plant a Sempervium in it I think. It should work fine.

Penny

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 7:05PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Al

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 9:51PM
simsedward

Al is my hero. Really cool work there bud!!!

Bookmark   February 14, 2012 at 5:41AM
val1(z4 UT)

I have many Sempervium planted in lava rocks. Some plantings are over ten years old. I replace a few every once in a while after they bloom and die, but they usually fill in again on their own. I never took the time or effort to drill holes, just placed a little soil in a natural hole and then started a plant in it. I have rarely had any die, so your Sempervium should do very well. I will post pictures tonight when I have time to find them. Good luck, I am sure they will work beautifully.

Bookmark   February 14, 2012 at 10:15AM
More Discussions
Aeonium hybrids from Southern California
these always look great this time of year (their 'happy...
palmbob
Tricolor sport
I was hoping the sport I found on my Tricolor would...
camellia1_gw
Thanksgiving cactus needs help
I have a TC that I have had for perhaps 7 years. Last...
Gigi z 7B, Upstate SC, USA
Some cactus like water
Who says you can't water cactus every day? This cactus...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
Can you please name this succulent (Qatar)
This succulent was growing along with cactus, it looks...
maufie123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™