Pink Leaves on Christmas Cactus? Photos

puglvr1(9b central FL)February 14, 2008

Hi,

I bought a Christmas Cactus (Nov. 07) that I repotted in a clay pot (2 months ago), gave it a fast draining soil (turface,cactus soil and grit), added some slow release fertilizer to the mix. I have it outside under a palm tree, filtered light, mostly shaded by the tree.

Seems healthy enough, even has a couple of blooms, but loaded with new growths, but the new leaves are pinkish in color. Even though I really like the pink leaves. Know what it might need, or what I may or may not be doing? I have another one but the new growths are light green. Can't figure out what is going on? Any help or explanations is appreciated. Thanks a lot...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hi Pug,

I think this is a reaction to the stronger light it has gotten since you've moved it outside. Mine (which hangs in a west window & half of which gets direct light) gets this reaction in summer on half its leaves (the half that gets direct light), but on mine, the new growth is purple, not pink. It's consistent, seems to do no harm to the plant & for me, it's just how mine seems to grow in peak summer.

I'd try to give the plant a bit more shade, but otherwise I don't think it's a problem. It looks very happy & healthy & you say it's blooming, right? I though I saw a couple of buds. I'd cut back on the fertilizer; when it's all done blooming hold back on water for abt a month, the plant takes a bit of a rest.

Bookmark   February 14, 2008 at 7:12PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Thanks Pirate girl,

I'm glad its not anything bad. Like I said I like the pink leaves, I think its really pretty. Purple leaves would be really pretty too.

Yes, there's only 2 or 3 buds right now. When I bought it over 3 months ago, it was full of buds. But 80% of it fell off, which I fully expected to happen. I will keep an eye on it and put in less light when our weather really starts to heat up. Appreciate it!

Bookmark   February 14, 2008 at 8:53PM
gardenbear1(6 Ma.)

Hi puglver1
all mine get the pink leaves at this time of year and I don't worry too much about it, seem they do this as the sun get stronger, in the next few weeks I'll move mine to the shade house and they will stay there until late spring

Bear

Bookmark   February 14, 2008 at 10:19PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Thanks for the info, gardenbear1. Glad to know it wasn't a negative thing. Extra sun and being outside in the cooler nights, as the reason, that's good to know. Like I said I like the pink leaves, it's funny I have another one I've had for over a year. That one is in the same exact location and gets the same temps, but the new growths are light green. Go figure??

Bookmark   February 15, 2008 at 4:42PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

It's very attractive!

My CC's a little pink on the sun side, too.

Josh

Bookmark   February 15, 2008 at 5:01PM
More Discussions
Gollum Surprise
Gollum leaf I came across tonight. Christopher
kaktuskris
Aloe with brown spots
About two months ago, this aloe was in full southern...
nanzjade_z5 MA
Shriveling Ferocactus Latispinus
Hey y'all ! I'm having an issue with my Devil's tongue...
_sbgibbons_
How to keep my boojum seedlings alive
Hi I just sprouted some boojum seeds overnight in a...
erythronium80
what is this propigation and what can I do with the root?!
this is something a friend of mine gave my mom in a...
Britni Rice
Sponsored Products
Outdoor Lighting. Leonidas 1-Light 7.5 in. Paintable Ceramic Bisque Cactus Cylin
$98.80 | Home Depot
Microfiber 3-piece Duvet Cover Set
Overstock.com
Ambiance Bisque Large Cactus Cylinder Outdoor Wall Sconce
$178.20 | Bellacor
Moooi | Elements 006
YLighting
Cactus Floor Lamp by Slamp
$1,019.20 | Lumens
Ferocactus Outdoor Torch - 9"H
$179.00 | FRONTGATE
Moooi | Elements 001