a couple Vrieseas

bromeliaddict(z6 MI)July 1, 2010

This is not the first of the grex to bloom, but it's the first to show half-way decent branching. It was suggested by another hybridizer that the sucrei parentage (Sunset= sucrei x splendens) would lead to mostly simple inflorescences. So far, for the most part, he's been right. A couple have had gorgeous foliage, followed by the most disappointing skinny, tall, simple inflorescence. I like the color combination of the foliage and flower of this one, though it's size (nearly 36") and rather gangly branching habit probably relegates even this one to the cull pile.

Vriesea 'Sunset' x 'Eva'

This next one hasn't bloomed yet, but I'm inclined already to want to keep it on account of the plant's form and leaf color.

Vriesea 'Elfi' x bleheri

Paul

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bromadams(10b)

Paul, I have to wonder what some of these would look like if grown in South Florida vs. Michigan. Your 'Sunset' x 'Eva' might be a completely different plant if given some serious sun and heat. I don't have a lot of Vrieseas but they all have been able to thrive in major sunlight.

Bookmark   July 1, 2010 at 10:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vriesea

Thats a great flower spike Paul ,yes mostly the single spike should and will dominate , try crossing that plant with a really good Double pleasure ,you will than keep the good flower spike and get leaf colour and pattern ok ?

Jack

Bookmark   July 1, 2010 at 11:22PM
More Discussions
treated timber
So the time has come to rebuild my pergola where I...
Adam Harbeck
ID Please
Another one I lost the tag to,can you please help me...
gardencraze
?? Achemea tessmannii
I got this as no ID.. It is blooming and looks similar...
radhavall
Viresa question
Ok, so I have probalby already managed to kill a small...
cygnwulf
how to keep bromelaid til i get home
Hello, a friend gave me bromelaid out of her garden...
drich30099
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™