Repotting Agave vilmoriniana

logan33(z6 OH)February 9, 2012

Need help with this large Agave vilmoriniana. It has gotten very top heavy and has a length of stem where it has lost some of it's older leaves over the years. I usually pot my succulents in rather shallow pots but was wondering if I could use a deeper pot and bury the stem up to closer to where the leaves begin. I think it might look better and definitely would help me keep it upright. I hate to have to lean a larger plant against something just to keep it from toppling over. I just don't want to do this without asking first because I wouldn't want to cause the stem to rot. What do you think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Agaves get a good root system going. I put them in a deeper pot. I only keep them in pots until they are large enough to go outside. This is a large growing agave. I can't imagine growing it in a pot inside. This is out of my league or zonal experience. I have only the experience of growing agaves this size outside. I imagine that one could burry it deeper as long as the crown is all above. That is a far ranging agave when it is happy. Arms flung out all over the place.

Bookmark   February 9, 2012 at 9:30PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Rocks to support the stem rather than potting media, no matter how gritty, might be better. Also try to correct the cultural practices that is causing it to lose leaves.

Bookmark   February 9, 2012 at 9:41PM
logan33(z6 OH)

Thanks to both of you for your help. That's what I'll do, put it in a deeper pot but the top couple of inches can be rocks for support. Yes it is a big sprawly agave but thats why I like it even for inside... it's not my biggest agave. It'd be nice to be able to have them outside but I only have a couple of agaves that are hardy enough for that. I'll try hoovb ;)

Bookmark   February 9, 2012 at 10:08PM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Logan, I'm not very experienced with this Agave, but when my Agave (pictured) gets "leggy", I remove all the bottom dead leaves, whack off the bottom leaving enough to plant and I have a new plant. The picture presented here of my Agave was cut this past summer. I will have 3 or 4 years before the bottom dies out and the pot is filled with roots and I will repeat the process.

Bookmark   February 10, 2012 at 8:51AM
logan33(z6 OH)

Thanks Bikerdoc, good to know. It looks great. I wouldn't have wanted to whack off all of the roots it had grown but the stem pretty readily reroots it seems.

Bookmark   February 10, 2012 at 8:59AM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of what I do, but when I re-pot my Agave, I remove all of the old roots and lower leaves exposing the new stem. I cut off all of the lower stem leaving just enough to replant; about 3" or 4". I then allow it to callus for at least 10 days or longer before re-potting. Like other succulents, new roots grow and the plant looks much better and seems to have a nicer head.

Bookmark   February 10, 2012 at 9:33AM
More Discussions
water testing for succulents.
What type of water do you use for your succulents?...
Britni Rice
Waves and Ripples: A Study in Contrast
My Waves and Ripple Jades side by side... Christopher...
kaktuskris
Finally not ashamed of this end of the garden.
So this is one of the projects I made a year ago and...
dephora
Has anyone used Copper Sulphate Pentahydrate as an fungicide?
Wondering if anyone has previous experience with using...
addicted2plants
Shriveling Ferocactus Latispinus
Hey y'all ! I'm having an issue with my Devil's tongue...
_sbgibbons_
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™