Ah well, but for the best laid plans ........

paul_(z5 MI)December 2, 2010

While I know it is always a crap shoot timing wise, I was hoping to have the "Oskar" I picked up at Lowes last month in bloom over Christmas-New Years. Considering I didn't pot the bugger up until the 2nd week of November or so, I figured it might be a tight race to have it bloom before the holidays passed. (At potting time there was yet no sign of any type of growth.) Well now it looks like it will be done blooming before Christmas even gets here. About a week after potting it up a scape began to poke up and as of today, the spike is about a foot tall. I don't really see it holding off flowering until the holidays.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cindeea(FtMyers 10)

LOL Paul, you got to admit, Amaryllis do tend to do their own celebrating some times! How about a Photo? Maybe she will develop a second, or even third scape!

Bookmark   December 2, 2010 at 7:00PM
ryan820(z5b Denver, Colorado, USA)

Hippeastrums are the flowers who, when they finally wake up and bloom, wonder's what everyone's problem is.

;oD

You realize this means you need another bulb, right?

DR.

Bookmark   December 2, 2010 at 7:25PM
joshy46013

So, I've planted some months ago and still NOTHING and some have bloomed, faded, set seeds and have 6 or so healthy leaves! It's very hit or miss with Hippeastrum but the flowers are incredibly worth it ;)

Denver Ryan is right, sounds like you need to hit up the local Lowe's for a few more ;)

Bookmark   December 2, 2010 at 8:08PM
dondeldux

Sounds like you'd better buy a couple and stagger them...my Oskar bloomed early, all through..so pick another red, maybe Red Lion or Minerva...Good luck getting your blooms for Christmas...and it doesn't have to be red you know, they're all beautiful...

Donna

Bookmark   December 2, 2010 at 9:25PM
cindeea(FtMyers 10)

Listen to you guys...you are enabling this poor guy! Encouraging him to spend his hard earned $$$ on Amaryllis of every size and color in hopes he gets them to flower at the stroke of midnight Christmas Eve......jingle......jingle......jingle...Just hear those sleigh bells jingling-...ring-ting tingling too.......

Bookmark   December 2, 2010 at 10:30PM
ryan820(z5b Denver, Colorado, USA)

Cindee did you expect anything less? Co-dependent behavior ain't any fun alone!

LOL!

Bookmark   December 2, 2010 at 10:39PM
namfon

I feel yur pain Paul,

I wanted my Gervase at least to come out for the holidays but
mine look like they wont do much til February, if then.

I do want more but am going to wait til spring and hope I can join a Maguire's order .....

Bookmark   December 3, 2010 at 6:48PM
haxuan(Vietnam)

It's quite unhappy to not have the blooms you wanted for the holidays.

In my case, I can delay blooming by wrapping my bulb (scape and all) in newspaper and placing it in the fridge until I think it's time. It worked for me, but of course, the flowers wouldn't be as spectacular as they would bloom normally. But well, I guess I couldn't have the cake and it eat too, right?

Xuan

Bookmark   December 3, 2010 at 9:40PM
More Discussions
test
just trying to figure out if i am signed in
snowdogmama
id for orange amaryllis
I am looking for the botanical name for this orange...
linda_leaf z10fla
Worsleya aka Blue Amaryllis
I thought I would post my latest pics to a more reasonably...
bluebonsai101
Help ID mislabeled hipies needed please
Hi everybody I bought 2 Giraffes and I was so happy...
tsucath
Red Flaslh
If I have a favorite Komoriya bulb I think Red Flash...
jstropic
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™