need help! very newbie

terrybullJuly 6, 2010

i live in idaho, i recieved a bromeliad from a friend, she purchased it from our local grocery store. I have kept in the same pot it came with. I have been careful not to over water it. It is kept in low light area. I received the plant 3 months ago, and it had a beautiful tangerine orange flower, it has faded in color, and the green leaves have started to brown at the tips and some have browned all the way. I am going to start using disstilled water, but i am not sure if i should cut the browning leaves or wait, not sure on how or where to water the plant, not sure on how to fix the fading of orange color. I would appreciate any help that you guys can give me on keeping my plant alive and beautiful

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vriesea

HI Terrybull,

Without a photo its hard to say but sounds like you have a Guzmania ,the leaf tips go brown from being indoors to long and so the humidity is low and it needs a bit of dappled sunlight to keep going as well ,the flowers fade after about 3 months , and the best thing to do is cut it of ,then the plant will put its energies into producing offsets ( pups) wich you can carefully cut of when about half the size of the mother plant and pot up seperately ,these will,flower in due course and so on ,use a good quality mix to grow in ,
Jack

Bookmark   July 7, 2010 at 6:05PM
More Discussions
What to do with these Tillandsias......
Hello, In about 2 weeks I'm heading down south to Florida...
MrBlubs
Vriesea pups, are they even alive?
I just separated them today, after the parent was already...
dekumask
Hey Nev!
What's going on with the other forum????
gonzer_gw
colour change + floppy plants
hi all, i was shocked to find that 2 of my plants had...
drmedusae
Buyers Beware
A few words of caution when purchasing or receiving...
hotdiggetydam
Sponsored Products
Concerted Waves Rug 6' x 9' - BEIGE/BEIGE
$3,299.00 | Horchow
j/fit Eva Blue Foam Roller - 20-0637
$24.99 | Hayneedle
Spade Drum Pendant by Dform Design
$964.00 | Lumens
Revolution Yellow Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 7 Ft. 9 In. Rug
$254.15 | Bellacor
TRIBECCA HOME Deco Wine Red Faux Leather Daybed with Trundle
Overstock.com