need help! very newbie

terrybullJuly 6, 2010

i live in idaho, i recieved a bromeliad from a friend, she purchased it from our local grocery store. I have kept in the same pot it came with. I have been careful not to over water it. It is kept in low light area. I received the plant 3 months ago, and it had a beautiful tangerine orange flower, it has faded in color, and the green leaves have started to brown at the tips and some have browned all the way. I am going to start using disstilled water, but i am not sure if i should cut the browning leaves or wait, not sure on how or where to water the plant, not sure on how to fix the fading of orange color. I would appreciate any help that you guys can give me on keeping my plant alive and beautiful

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vriesea

HI Terrybull,

Without a photo its hard to say but sounds like you have a Guzmania ,the leaf tips go brown from being indoors to long and so the humidity is low and it needs a bit of dappled sunlight to keep going as well ,the flowers fade after about 3 months , and the best thing to do is cut it of ,then the plant will put its energies into producing offsets ( pups) wich you can carefully cut of when about half the size of the mother plant and pot up seperately ,these will,flower in due course and so on ,use a good quality mix to grow in ,
Jack

Bookmark   July 7, 2010 at 6:05PM
More Discussions
ID this curly Bromeliad
Ready to put these in the ground. Forgot to ask the...
halfwaythere1
HAVE: Neoregelias and cryptanthus for trade
Have Neoregelia Giant Fireball and Donger, also several...
ken_ny
Impulsiv-ity and Tillandsia
Good Morning! Newbie here (to all plants). In an extremely...
Kristinkle
treated timber
So the time has come to rebuild my pergola where I...
Adam Harbeck
ID please
PAnother blooming that needs ID Thanx Carmen
gardencraze
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™