Red Jade Leaf Bottom

kaktuskrisFebruary 15, 2013

Pinched back a compact leaf Jade and noticed the nice red on the underside of the leaves...If only the top were like this.

Christopher

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
norma_2006

From Norma Los Angeles, The cold westher may be cuse, I have a red leaf
Crassuls ovata with ruby red leaves, I think to many different growing conditions cause this. cold, water, inherited form, or type, fertilizer, soil mix. your mix.l The color doesn't look like ruby, like good red wine/ or blood red, that like more brown. I can't give you a response that you can take to the bank. I would need to see the whole plant, soil, pot, you did the right thing cutting of the tips in winter, Crassula are winter growers.

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 1:55PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Very pretty Christopher...I know what you mean, that would be awesome if the colors were on top too :o)

Too bad you can't plant it upside down,lol...

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 8:00AM
kaktuskris

This Jade of mine is red on the tops now too...

Christopher

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 5:36PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Very nice!
Which one is this, Christopher?

Josh

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 7:16PM
kaktuskris

This is none other than the 'Rubra' cutting Norma sent me a couple of years ago now, maybe, when I sent her a cutting from the original plant of the cutting in the first photo. It loves that window, as does the 'Skinny Fingers,' as you call it, that I posted a photo of recently.

Christopher

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 7:51PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

I thought it might be, but didn't want to guess incorrectly ;-)

It reminds me a bit of a Jade I "rescued" five years ago...you might remember this one. The plant looks completely different now, of course. Pic taken 2/17/2008:

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 8:07PM
kaktuskris

Josh, I am curious to see what that Jade of yours looks like now, five years later....

Christopher

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 9:45PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

I don't have a current pic, but here's one from last year - it's the one on the right. As you can see, it is re-growing leaves after a pruning. I am fairly convinced that it is a 'Crosby's Compact' - as is the other one pictured. One of my most colorful Jades.

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 3:18PM
kaktuskris

Josh, the leaves in the older photo look too big and long to be 'Crosby's Compact' to me, I could be wrong though. I thought the cutting I posted in the first photo was that variety, but the leaves are much smaller than on your plant.

Christopher

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 5:12PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

But look at the growth on the plant now...much smaller and more compact. I think it was distorted from growing in low-light conditions.

Josh

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 2:12AM
dan4279

I have a jade that I got at Wal-Mart several years back. The leaves are very compact, so I've always assumed it was a crosby's compact, but I don't know for sure. This winter it's been in my cool basement (50-60 degrees) and it has developed a deep red color on the tops and bottoms of the leaves. I'm thinking it's because of the cool temps. Here's a pic of the top of the plant.

Dan

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 10:08AM
dan4279

...and here's the whole plant (or plants...there's 2 in this pot).

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 10:10AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Yep, looks like a 'Compact' to me, too.
Excellent color. When temps are cool and the sun is bright, I get the best color from mine. Chris, sorry for the partial hijacking of your Thread (I just can't get enough of these various, small-leafed red colored Jades). This is why I pruned mine back - the limbs were getting too long.

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 12:33PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

...and one for good measure. A cutting from my sister's Compact Jade. Her plant has an especially droopy habit and develops strong purple coloration on the top and bottom of the leaves. This is an old pic, but it shows the possible color saturation quite well. Dry, cold, and sunny = intense color.

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 12:37PM
More Discussions
Help! Unhappy succulents!
Help! My succulents don't look happy! Their little...
holliescruton
Zebra cactus (hawarthia) help?
Ok, so I first posted at the end of January about my...
niknac
Aztcqn's Spiky & Fat Herd
I'm back with a renewed effort to make my yard a place...
aztcqn
New to growing cactus, leaf withering?
Hi all! I bought this mini cactus plant last Wednesday,...
s_tomato
Prevent mix from falling out drain hole - what do you use?
I have a few particles falling out the bottom of my...
Bama_Joe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™