cryptanthus beuckeri

patusho25(z11 Mexico)July 24, 2008

I´m having trouble with this plant since it´s very hot and dry most of the time. It´s in a shady spot. Does anybody know if this plant is doable in this particular enviroment (tropical semi-arid)?. It hasn´t done much since transplanted to that sandy loam growing media, perhpas it´s too heavy for this plant?. Is this plant slow/very slow growing?.

Here´s the hostage. lol. It´s two (healthy) growing points but you can see the rest of the plant.

cheerios.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hotdiggetydam

It needs rich humus soil and dont let it dry out

Bookmark   July 25, 2008 at 1:11AM
LisaCLV(HI)

Let it go and nobody gets hurt, Patusho!

This is one of the more difficult Crypts to grow. It is very slow and also rather delicate. It likes shade and high humidity, and I'd give it a different type of soil mix, something with a lot of peat or sphagnum moss, rather than the sandy loam. Keep it moist, but not sitting in water.

I don't know what you can do about your dry air, maybe place the pot on a pebble tray? Even in my humid tropical conditions shaded underneath the greenhouse benches it just barely stays alive, and doesn't ever increase in size. If anybody knows the secret to making this one thrive, let's hear it!

Bookmark   July 25, 2008 at 1:22AM
patusho25(z11 Mexico)

barely stays alive in your climate, lisa?!?! LOL. I´m hopeless with this one then. =( Hope it survives the transplanting process. thank you both. will seek an appropiate growing media.

Bookmark   July 25, 2008 at 1:29AM
aroideana(Tropical Australia)

Expert grower I know in sub-tropical Bundaberg has tried a few times and given up . It is a very tropical species .

Bookmark   July 25, 2008 at 7:54AM
stephania

Hi guys! (^_^)

You won't be surprise if you find they grow like a weed here!
But...in deep shade with high humid of some place like a fern house.

I use one part coconut husk and one part loam with best result.

Bookmark   July 25, 2008 at 10:11AM
patusho25(z11 Mexico)

VERY nice plants, chanin, ace grown. will give it that mix. thank you. take out your notebook lisa. =D

aroideana, interesting (or perhaps you already know about my latitude) that Bundaberg is at the same latitude as where my city is but I´m in the northern hemisphere, and twice inland. ¡¡¡¡glad I´m not an expert or I´d fail with the beuckeri!!!. LOL Will give it a couple shots if this one dies. >=D

thank you all. cheers.

Bookmark   July 25, 2008 at 12:22PM
More Discussions
hotdiggetydam
Vriesea pups, are they even alive?
I just separated them today, after the parent was already...
dekumask
Is this a bromeliad???
I got this from my aunt, who wasn't sure what it is....
embolton0620
What to do with these Tillandsias......
Hello, In about 2 weeks I'm heading down south to Florida...
MrBlubs
Buyers Beware
A few words of caution when purchasing or receiving...
hotdiggetydam
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™