aechmea Foster.s Favorite Favorite ?

frankie22(mtl,canada 5a)August 4, 2010

Hello, I want someone to confirm this name for that plant. I also have another name; Aechmea fulgens var discolor albo-marginata roseo-lineata !

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
LisaCLV(HI)

I'd go with the second one, although I've never heard the roseo-lineata part. FFF is a more tubular plant with a sparse, pendant inflorescence. Yours is typical of Ae. fulgens in flower and form.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   August 4, 2010 at 1:20AM
vriesea

Hi Frankie ,Lisa is correct ,its Ae fulgens var Discolor ,and as she said ,never heard of the Roseo -liniate bit either , Ae FFF is very different in growth and flower spike .

Bookmark   August 5, 2010 at 6:38AM
frankie22(mtl,canada 5a)

OK, it's not FFF. We have also a albo-marginata but no red-pink. I'm confused with these two. I will send you a pic of the second one. May be it's not a discolor variety.

Bookmark   August 5, 2010 at 9:58PM
frankie22(mtl,canada 5a)

Here is the picture i took for Aechmea fulgens var. discolor 'Albomarginata'

Here is a link that might be useful: Aechmea fulgens var. discolor 'Albomarginata'

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 4:13PM
frankie22(mtl,canada 5a)

The name is good ?

Here is a link that might be useful: Aechmea fulgens var. discolor 'Albomarginata' ?

Bookmark   August 25, 2010 at 2:21PM
LisaCLV(HI)

I have that last one, I had to go check the tag. It says: "AE. MINIATA DISCOLOR ROSEALINIATA ALBOMARGINATED". That's just as it is written, I'm not sure if it is correct, or spelled correctly (probably not), or if anything other than the genus should be capitalized, since it doesn't say cv. or var. on the tag.

So I guess I lied when I said I'd never heard the roseo-lineata part. I'd just forgotten it, although this is apparently miniata and not fulgens. At least that's my excuse. ;-)

Bookmark   August 26, 2010 at 11:42PM
frankie22(mtl,canada 5a)

I though that this second pic is Aechmea fulgens var. discolor 'Albomarginata Rosea-Lineata' ! I'm a little bit confused here...

Bookmark   August 30, 2010 at 11:13AM
LisaCLV(HI)

You and me both, Frankie!

As you can see, however, the first of the pics just above does have red lineation, and a more miniata shaped inflo.

The second one looks like an albomarginated form of fulgens v. discolor, but I'm not seeing anything that would give it the name "rosea-lineata". Sounds like label confusion.

Bookmark   August 30, 2010 at 2:33PM
hotdiggetydam

A Sport of 'Electrica' also nick named also as 'Roseo- Lineata'. The plant also had an odd habit of the flower mutating and showing odd forms. It could have also sported off a variegate form.

Bookmark   August 30, 2010 at 7:23PM
pinkbroms

Hi Guys

Don't forget the Roseo-Lineata is but a Nursery naming or a made up bit of describing their plant by a collector as it has no botanical or taxonomical meaning, in other words drop it from your label.
Apparently it appears as though most of the variegated plants in the fulgens/miniata group are HYBRIDS, look to Ae. Reginald etc.

Frankie I still have your plant in 2nd photo tagged as Ae. fulgens var. discolor variegated, that's the pinker of your 2 plants. That 2nd plant is also variegated not Albo. it has stripes in the leaf other than the white edges.

Pinkbroms

Bookmark   August 31, 2010 at 6:25AM
vriesea

Yep I am with you on that Ross ,thats how I have always known it ,occasionally you can get a distinct Albo marginate pup ,but its not stable ,
Jack

Bookmark   August 31, 2010 at 7:13AM
More Discussions
treated timber
So the time has come to rebuild my pergola where I...
Adam Harbeck
ID Please
Another one I lost the tag to,can you please help me...
gardencraze
NOID brom with blue inflo
any idea what this might be? the color is just unbelievable!...
petrushka
Vriesea pups, are they even alive?
I just separated them today, after the parent was already...
Dekumask
ID please
PAnother blooming that needs ID Thanx Carmen
gardencraze
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™