New plants and Help Identifying!

teenagegreenthumb(6a)February 28, 2012

So, I went to Home Depot to buy a cactus. Just one cactus. But when I got there, they moved the entire succulent section to the cold entry way. Now I know these plants are hardy plants, but it is cold in Kansas! The section was right next to the automatic doors and the wind had blown some little plants from the shelves. So I scooped them back up and began my cactus search, and this is what I ended up with:

My Rebutia Cactus:

Echeveria (not sure what species!)

Sempervium (not sure which kind):

And my beautiful mystery plant I simply could not pass up:

Side shot of the mystery plant, any guesses would be great:

The closet looking Echeveria I thought would be a Perle von Nurnberg, but I'm not so sure it is an Echeveria! As you can see, I have doubled my little plant collection in less than a month. Any guesses would be great thanks!

And here they are all together:

Thanks everyone!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
emerald1951

Hi...sorry I don't know the names of your cool new plants, and yes the last one is very nice I like that one, also the second plant... I'm posting to say I love your planter, very nice!!....linda

Bookmark   February 28, 2012 at 7:39PM
teenagegreenthumb(6a)

Thanks! I got it at one of the local antique shops, and I absolutely love it!

Bookmark   February 28, 2012 at 7:48PM
rosemariero6(z10 /ss24 So. Calif.)

Ha ha...and so it begins! LOL "Just one cactus", huh? Wheee! Sorry I haven't gotten back to your other post just yet, Kayla. I'm sort of hopping around.

Now...I'm not too familiar with Rebutias...but that looks more like a Mammillaria to me. If/when it flowers, please repost a pic for ID.

The 2nd one is an Echeveria. I hesitate to say which, because there are a few that look similar. They've lumped E. lindsayana in with E. colorata now & E. chihuahuaensis is a possibility as well. If the tips were darker pink, I'd think it was E. 'Tippy'. Flowers may help get a better ID (you'll hear this a lot).

Your 3rd does not look like a Sempervivum to me. More like Echeveria setosa v. ciliata. Does it have little hairs (cilia) on the edges of the leaves (or all over the leaves)? Another clear pic may change my mind. :P

Your mystery plant at first glance, does look like it could be E. 'Perle von Nurnberg', but I believe it is xGraptoveria 'Fred Ives' (a cross of an Echeveria & a Graptopetalum).

I, too, like your planter, but some advice: make sure it has drain holes in it. Also, I'd advise not to have so much space for the plants-well maybe if you're careful how you water...they will fill in. BUT...the cactus should not be planted with those type succulents. You will want to keep it drier than the others.

Bookmark   February 28, 2012 at 8:16PM
teenagegreenthumb(6a)

Thanks! I didn't think the wrappers on the Home Depot plants were right. I have an Echeveria setosa and I don't think that's what the third one is, it does have a few hairs around it, much wispier then my other setosa, however that one is older so we'll see!! The last plant looks a lot like a few different Graptopetalum, thanks! And my dad helped me poke some holes in the toolbox before they were planted. I may go back and get a few more cacti and give them there own little home, we'll have to see! Thanks so much for your help!

Bookmark   February 28, 2012 at 8:54PM
landruc

I'm pretty sure that last one is a 'Perle von Nurnberg' and not a 'Fred Ives.' I could be wrong, but I have a few of each and it looks similar to my 'Perle von Nurnberg' offset and unlike my 'Fred Ives' cuttings.

Bookmark   February 29, 2012 at 12:03PM
teenagegreenthumb(6a)

Hey guys! Well rosemariero6 told me that I shouldn't have planted the cactus with those succulents, so I went back to home depot, got a succulent to take its place and I 'accidentally' got two more cacti! I will post pictures once I get them planted. You know you have a plant addiction when the people at Home Depot call you the cactus lady!

Bookmark   March 1, 2012 at 1:39PM
teenagegreenthumb(6a)

Ok, here are my newest plants.

Pachyphytum close up:

Browningla Cactus:

Mammillaria:

And here are all of my cacti in their home:

And the latest Echeverias, Sempervium, and Pachyphytum:

I love the colors and textures of all of the different succulents! Thanks for your advice, rosemariero6! My cacti is now happy with all its friends!

Bookmark   March 1, 2012 at 11:35PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

The very first picture in this thread looks like a Mamillaria nejapensis, but I could be wrong. These are hard to ID. Thousands of mams. I am not that familiar with robutias. I just have the M. nejapensis 'Silver Arrows'. It has that orange brown tuft on the ends of the long upward curving needles that become more pronounced as it ages.

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 10:40AM
teenagegreenthumb(6a)

Thanks for the ID!! I think it is a Mamillaria now. But it isn't fuzzy like some pictures of Mammillaria nejapensises I'm seeing.

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 10:47AM
More Discussions
My very first 'Terrarium' and need advice on watering.
So this is my first time doing Terrarium, and i want...
kizasugondo
This Kalanchoë
Is anyone familiar with this Kalanchoë? The tag says:...
hablu
Jade fused trunk
Hi all, been reading for a while, first time poster. My...
andymac85
Mother of Thousands (Kalanchoe)- can I prune it?
I have two of these in pots. The main problem is that...
elizabethk1
How to use excess sedum seedlings?
I purchased seed for Red Carpet Sedum, in preparation...
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™