In need of an ID

snappyguyFebruary 20, 2013

I recently won this plant in a raffle and have no idea what it is. It seems to be a succulent, but that's about all I know. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Mark

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cactusmcharris

Mark,

I'm not clear as to what it is - can you tone down the picture? I think it's a Gasteria/Aloe hybrid (Gasteraloe) (or just an Aloe hybrid), judging from its extreme pupping fecundity.

Flowers of course would tell us immediately - I don't suppose you've seen pics of them?

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 8:42PM
snappyguy

I think some sort of Aloe is probably right. I noticed it puts out leaves in the same pattern an Aloe does, and it has 5 soft spines toward the end of mature leaves. I haven't seen any pictures of its' flowers though.

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 11:22AM
rosemariero6(z10 /ss24 So. Calif.)

I believe what you have there is Aloe 'Black Gem' (which will turn a darker color if grown in the sun). Trouble is, I'm not sure...& don't think others are sure of the genus...as you'll find this listed as xAlworthia 'Black Gem' & xGasteraloe 'Black Gem'. So, thinking there is an intergeneric cross. I don't believe I've seen blooms on it to ascertain if/which genus might be involved. Guess more sleuthing is required on this one, but I've no time at the moment. That's a lot of plants you have there...can split into many, if you so desire!

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 11:55AM
ctreeteac(Zone 8b; rain-spewing Oregon)

My understanding is that 'Black Gem' does not bloom, RoRo. I've certainly never had mine bloom, either, in the three years I've had it. I think it's 'Black Gem' too.

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 5:30PM
rosemariero6(z10 /ss24 So. Calif.)

That makes sense, Colleen. I've had 3 of them...none bloomed. Guess they just keep multiplying vegetatively...as it is doing so well in snappyguy's pix!

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 11:26PM
More Discussions
Echeveria leaves falling off and stem turning dark?
Hello, I'm new on this website and could use some help...
adelalis
What to do with this?
Hi everyone we had this superb plant in our garden...
garazy
A Nice Welcome Today
A little surprise in the mail today...
kaktuskris
What kind of succulent are you? Please help ID
Thx all for the help. I have a few clippings of the...
chiquitanerd
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™