In need of an ID

snappyguyFebruary 20, 2013

I recently won this plant in a raffle and have no idea what it is. It seems to be a succulent, but that's about all I know. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Mark

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cactusmcharris

Mark,

I'm not clear as to what it is - can you tone down the picture? I think it's a Gasteria/Aloe hybrid (Gasteraloe) (or just an Aloe hybrid), judging from its extreme pupping fecundity.

Flowers of course would tell us immediately - I don't suppose you've seen pics of them?

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 8:42PM
snappyguy

I think some sort of Aloe is probably right. I noticed it puts out leaves in the same pattern an Aloe does, and it has 5 soft spines toward the end of mature leaves. I haven't seen any pictures of its' flowers though.

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 11:22AM
rosemariero6(z10 /ss24 So. Calif.)

I believe what you have there is Aloe 'Black Gem' (which will turn a darker color if grown in the sun). Trouble is, I'm not sure...& don't think others are sure of the genus...as you'll find this listed as xAlworthia 'Black Gem' & xGasteraloe 'Black Gem'. So, thinking there is an intergeneric cross. I don't believe I've seen blooms on it to ascertain if/which genus might be involved. Guess more sleuthing is required on this one, but I've no time at the moment. That's a lot of plants you have there...can split into many, if you so desire!

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 11:55AM
ctreeteac(Zone 8b; rain-spewing Oregon)

My understanding is that 'Black Gem' does not bloom, RoRo. I've certainly never had mine bloom, either, in the three years I've had it. I think it's 'Black Gem' too.

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 5:30PM
rosemariero6(z10 /ss24 So. Calif.)

That makes sense, Colleen. I've had 3 of them...none bloomed. Guess they just keep multiplying vegetatively...as it is doing so well in snappyguy's pix!

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 11:26PM
More Discussions
Aztcqn's Spiky & Fat Herd
I'm back with a renewed effort to make my yard a place...
aztcqn
Aloe ID
Anyone here know the ID of this aloe? This is over...
russ_fla
Zebra cactus (hawarthia) help?
Ok, so I first posted at the end of January about my...
niknac
Watering & fertilizer regimine??
For the last year (one summer & one winter) I have...
halocline
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™