Minis?

bullsieDecember 28, 2010

I am wishing to add some amaryllis (or is that amarylli?) to my windowsill of plants. I have cared for the 'regular' sized plants but wish to know about the minis. What is mini and are they cared for much the same as the standard?

Appreciate!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

Mini refers to the size of the bloom, not the size of the plant, although you might expect them to be smaller than some of the standard Dutch hybrids. There is an FAQ for this forum that gives all sorts of great information on care. Good luck!!...if you go to most of the sites that sell bulbs, they break them down by category and many have a subset of miniatures.

Kristi

Bookmark   December 29, 2010 at 8:03PM
amaryllisfred(6b Cambridge MA)

Hello Folks,

I'm sure a lot of you are in the same boat as me, too many plants and not enough room. I like this trend towards the mini hipps and even though I love the big'ns, I'm looking for their smaller growing/flowering cousins. I hope to trade some bulbs and perhaps try hybridizing different cultivars to keep them small but neat (no mutants). I have a San Antonio Rose that keeps offsetting, but no flowers yet and I'm thinking I would probably use it with another small grower and see what happens. In the meantime, I'm on the hunt for small/mini growers.

Fred

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 1:20PM
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

Most of the Hadeco bulbs are small....Eden's Blooms has a big assorment. Royal Colors is carrying many minis too.
K

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 6:33PM
More Discussions
The brighter side of a cold and snowy day...
3 Flower Papilio Bulb #2 opens it's flowers
mariava7
Worsleya seeds
If anyone is interested, someone is offering worsleya...
rredbbeard
Help Me Grow A Worsleya
Hello. I'm a avid collector of amaryllis bulbs. I heard...
robnelms
Rebloomer 'Giraffe'
Reblooming 'Giraffe' First scape with 5 flowers!! :)...
lenanen
id for orange amaryllis
I am looking for the botanical name for this orange...
linda_leaf z10fla
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™