Create a bromeliad log

ourarkaAugust 19, 2013

I am hoping for some advice about creating a bromeliad/epiphyte log in my conservatory. I have a piece of hardwood branch, which fits the space perfectly. It would be in a shady spot, but obviously gets quite warm and dry in there .... particularly in summer.

I had experimented with some Tillandsias this year, using some moss as a substrate but this is impossible to keep moist enough and so quickly dies. I feel it needs something on the wood to 'latch' on to, but can't find any artificial moss in the UK.

Does anyone have any general advice regarding mounting, good species choices and general care?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
o2tiller(N/A)

I can't be of help with advice on general care, or good specie choices. Because your space gets quite dry and warm, I presume you will be watering or misting regularly? Maybe (some possible ideas with your branch) you could cover your hardwood branch with tree fern which might/or/might not work for moisture retention. Another possibility would be to use epiweb/hygrolon. This product does very well with 'wicking' water. It also does a very good job retaining moisture with regular misting if not used for 'wicking'. Another suggestion (has worked well for me in the past) is to tightly wrap the branch with long-fibre sphagnum. With regular misting, it too will retain moisture fairly well.

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 1:47PM
ourarka

Thanks O2tiller - I had never heard of epiweb but looks like it may be the answer! I would be regularly misting but couldn't do it so often that I could keep normal substrates (such as moss) damp. I think the epiweb, perhaps with a moss over the top, might be worth trying (its not too expensive if it doesnt work).

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 3:50PM
hotdiggetydam

Dont forget critical air circulation

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 6:34PM
ourarka

Yes, conservatory is a frequent 'walkway' with big doors either end so air circulation shouldn't be a problem, especially March-November.

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 2:47AM
ourarka

I have looked in to the hygrolon, and it does look good. I think if I could establish a moss on it, then that would act as a good mounting substrate for some bromeliads/epiphytes giving them not only something to 'grab' on to, but also raising the local humidity.

Does anyone know of a moss that would work well - conservatory is frost free but cool on cloudy winter days?

Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 12:55PM
More Discussions
Buying broms
Where is the best place to buy bromeliads online? Would...
josephene_gw
Eye candy at Sunshine Bromeliads
If you're in South Florida you definitely need to check...
halfwaythere1
hotdiggetydam
ID Please
I'm guessing this is a bromiliad I got it from an...
Biinaboo, Zone 10, Naples, Gulf Coast
NOID brom with blue inflo
any idea what this might be? the color is just unbelievable!...
petrushka
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™