$4.00 Brom ID Please

gardenbear1(6 Ma.)August 2, 2012

This is my $4.00 brom with 4 pups and it needs a ID, all I would like is to know if its a Bill or some other type

Thanks for the help

Bear

This is the pot I want to put it in

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

Rather than pot up, those pups are about ready for individual pots. Is there evidence of the flower being cut off on the mother plant? If so, momma is on her way out.

Looks like Aechmea fasciata to me.

tj

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 10:10PM
gardenbear1(6 Ma.)

Thanks for the ID, I know the momma plants on its way out but for now it will go into the big pot

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 10:49PM
splinter1804

Hi everyone,

Yes bear, I think tj's on the money with Aechmea Fasciata for the name.

You have a couple of options for what to do, firstly as tj says you can remove the pups and pot them up each in their own pot. Personally I like to wait until they are larger and have some roots before I would remove them, but then that's my choice and each grower has their own ideas of what to do and how to do it.

Secondly, as the pups are draining the mother plant which will eventually die anyway, you could also just pot them on. i.e. just plant the whole plant as is, (Mother, pups and all) into a larger pot with a bit of high K fertilizer.

As the mother dies, just cut away any dead leaves until eventually there will be nothing left and the pups will have grown large enough to fill the space left by the mother.

With a bit of luck you will possibly finish up with a nice specimen plant which when mature will possibly reward you with four nice inflorescences all at the same time. - The choice is yours.

All the best, Nev.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 12:40AM
gardenbear1(6 Ma.)

I think I like to keep them all together and let the mother plant die out over time, I like the way it looks right now and can't wait until the pups get bigger.
Thanks for all the help you guys are great.

Bear

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 9:38PM
More Discussions
San Diego Bromeliad Show and Sale
Hey guys, for the SoCal people: Today and tomorrow...
sdandy
Buying broms
Where is the best place to buy bromeliads online? Would...
josephene_gw
?? Achemea tessmannii
I got this as no ID.. It is blooming and looks similar...
radhavall
ID help for a couple of things at Harry P. Leu Gardens in Orlando
I was at Leu Gardens earlier this week and, among a...
gdadtravelinig
Bert in a basket
I have an Ae Bert that I would like to plant in an...
dogboy27
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™