OT: Lemon Tree

tommysmommy(Colorado)March 12, 2012

Okay all you tropicals growers. I have a question regarding my 10 year old lemon tree. It's been in the same pot for years, reliably set fruit for most of those years, until just the last few. Any ideas why it's not setting fruit from its hundreds of blossoms? Same window as in years past, same fertilizer. Can't pot up or it will be too heavy.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

Have you tried asking on the citrus forum? The majority of my citrus fruit abort early on, especially when there's a lot of blooms, but they've always done that.

Bookmark   March 13, 2012 at 9:33AM
tommysmommy(Colorado)

Um, good thought. I'll do that.

Bookmark   March 13, 2012 at 4:54PM
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Maybe it just needs to have the soil changed. I imagine many years in the same pot would use up the nutrients in the soil even if its getting fertilizer or the soil could become very compacted after a long time. I do keep several citrus in pots like buddahs hand, all my diffent limes, lemons, grapefruits, pummelo and blood oranges in pots but keep the regular oranges and kumquats in the ground. Some of the larger ones I do not pot up anymore. My buddah's hand and thai limes are 8 feet now and I have to use a hand truck to get them around and even that is a pain lol. I do repot their soil every couple years or so though without going up to a larger pot. I root prune lots of trees beside just citrus and it doesn't seem to bother them too much. I have tall sausage trees that I prune off all thier roots every winter and shove them into tiny pots and keep them dry all winter.

Citrus will generally drop most of thier fruit or blossoms and only keep around 10% while they are young trees.

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 4:56PM
tommysmommy(Colorado)

SJN, when you repot without going up a pot size, do you remove soil from the roots, and how far in to the rootball do you go? I've been trimming the tree back every year to keep it small. Not heightwise, as it has never gone above 4-4 1/2 feet, but widthwise. I'm quite sure the plant is rootbound, but sure don't want to wrestle with another big pot.

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 9:34AM
cearbhaill

When I repot in the same pot I saw off the bottom third of the rootball and perhaps saw off some of the sides as well.
It sounds drastic but they love it.

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 1:03PM
tommysmommy(Colorado)

I did repot, into the same pot, gave it new potting soil and scraped off an inch or more around the whole thing. Not as drastic as what you did, cearbhaill, but I'm watching it for a while to see how it does. It just keeps flowering, but the leaves appear to be less than perky.

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 9:43AM
More Discussions
Brugmansia Eternity
I think everyone should have no problems flowering...
boonboon
Sphagnum Moss Rooting Method - Step by Step!
I've had a couple of requests as to how I root my cuttings!...
sibhskylvr
Chocolate Brug
Gm, This is Eddie. Can you please email me at Eddie.Stiltner@my.lr.edu I...
eddiedewayne
How many cuttings in one pot?
I have 12 cuttings in water that have lengthy roots...
bdw75
Question for Rosie1949. Re overwintering brugs in water
I posted this on another thread but since it may not...
mnwsgal 4 MN
Sponsored Products
Silk Ficus 7-foot Tree
Overstock.com
Chooty and Co Burlap Natural Tree Skirt - TS513073
$44.99 | Hayneedle
Dueling Piano Elves
$99.00 | FRONTGATE
Lemon Zest - Satin Dark Gray Shade Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Charred One-Light Iron Elk with Trees Table Lamp
$234.95 | Bellacor
Austin Tree Stump Charcoal Novelty Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Cutting Garden White Mantel Bouquet - GREEN
$595.00 | Horchow
Moonrays Outdoor Lighting. Outdoor Color-Changing Solar LED Winter Tree Lights (
$26.99 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™