Unknown soldier

jhans4August 23, 2008

Does anyone have any idea what this little gem is? I picked it up off of a raffle table and no one could tell me what the little devil is. It is only about 3-4 inches tall and has the shape of A recurvata but the texture and coloring are oh so different. Ive moved it to the shade where it has greened up but when it wqs getting more light it was a solid deep purple.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
LisaCLV(HI)

It's another one of those Neos in the hylaeicum group. Not sure which one, could be a hybrid.

I think the size is about right for N. leviana, although it doesn't really resemble either the FCBS photos or Tropiflora's (see below). Of course those photos don't resemble each other either, so maybe it's a variable species? N. mooreana and peruviana are also smaller members of that group, and there is a dark red form of mooreana, but neither of those species has cup color, as far as I know. Maybe a hybrid with N. pendula?

Anybody?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   August 23, 2008 at 3:49PM
mike4284m(z10b Ft. Lauderdale, FL)

My initial thought was some sort of Neo. pendula hybrid too. Being that it's on the small side maybe it hasn't taken an "adult form" yet? I dunno.

Here's a picture that Michael Kiehl took of his Neo. mooreana 'Black'. Your plant looks a bit too squat to be a mooreana but maybe it was just the growing conditions.

Bookmark   August 23, 2008 at 6:56PM
bromeliaddict(z6 MI)

It could be Neo. 'Morona'. Mine's blooming now, The photo I have is a from a few generations back in Sep. 2000. There are also a couple of photos on fcbs that you can compare with your plant.

Paul

Bookmark   August 23, 2008 at 11:15PM
jhans4

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm starting to some resemblance. I guess the true test will be when it infloreses.

Jon

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 11:03PM
More Discussions
What type of brom is this?
This bromeliad is fairly large --at least 3 feet in...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
?? Achemea tessmannii
I got this as no ID.. It is blooming and looks similar...
radhavall
ID please
PAnother blooming that needs ID Thanx Carmen
gardencraze
Hey Nev!
What's going on with the other forum????
gonzer_gw
colour change + floppy plants
hi all, i was shocked to find that 2 of my plants had...
drmedusae
Sponsored Products
Winchester Table Lamp in Antiqued
$279.00 | LexMod
Explore Duvet Cover
$109.99 | Dot & Bo
New Unique Multi-Color Ikat 8'x10' Veg Dyed Hand Knotted Persian Wool Rug H3639
BH Sun Inc
Galactic Explorer Semi-Flushmount by ELK Lighting
$98.00 | Lumens
Wakefield Chandelier
$424.95 | Bellacor