New to Tillandsia - are they okay indoors??

FluffyClouAugust 12, 2013

Hello! This is my first post here in the Bromeliad forum. I am planning to buy a Tillandsia but I am not sure if they are okay indoors. It will be placed in a classroom so there will be no sun at all. I have only learned about Tillandsia a week ago so I am really new to it.

Also, I would like to ask if ordering Tillandsia online is cheaper, better or have good quality. I have never ordered plants online before. Is there a certain kind of Tillandsia that is recommended for newbies like me?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
debbyabq

I started buying and growing them last fall, buying both locally (one source) and from online sources, so I have a variety. Over the winter I had mine under two grow lights (tube lights made for installing under cabinets, so each about 2 feet long). I had these on a timer so they got a split session of ~3 hours in the morning, ~6 in the evening (I was at work, so why waste the electricity?) Now that I'll be working at home, I'll give them 12-13 hours a day in the same lighting starting in the later fall. Right now (August) they're outside in a north-facing porch, getting a lot of reflected sunlight at our high altitude. So if you have a grow light, you may be able to put other plants under it as well. Perhaps take the Tillandsia home on weekends and give it a soaking and some sunshine in a window. If you have a fresh-water fish tank in the classroom, you can use water from that to soak the Tillandsia in (that's what I do)

Bookmark   August 12, 2013 at 4:16PM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

So the classroom is dark evening, night and on weekends and holidays? Perhaps for over a week or more around Christmas and Easter? Forced air heating and air conditioning making the air quite dry? May be tough.

tj

Bookmark   August 12, 2013 at 7:23PM
FluffyClou

Debby,
Thank you.
Just to make sure, grow lights is the same as plant light?? And if I understand it correctly, you used tube lights as a light source during winter, right?
So tube lights function the same or has the same effect as the plant light or grow light? Sorry for such questions, I am just a little bit confused. Thank you again!

I have also read your other post regarding a website for tillandsia - I wonder if it's possible to know the name of the site :p

Tj,
The classroom would be during weekdays, morning until afternoon - I am also thinking if it's okay to leave it there overnight (for a week, actually - Mon. to Fri.). I might go by what Debby said regarding bringing it home on weekends. And...I haven't thought after the effect air conditioning will have on the plants :/

So, perhaps it's not a good idea then to keep it in the classroom due to the air conditioning/heating?

Thank you!

Bookmark   August 12, 2013 at 8:14PM
debbyabq

The lights I'm using are made by Lights of America and are "Color Temperature 7800K" (and some other numbers I can't read upside down since I've already installed them). Unfortunately I don't have the packages anymore, though I'm sure the packaging said they were useful for growing plants under. I probably got them at WalMart for under $10 each. It might be worth doing some online research.

If you want to simply try out a set up, maybe acquire some inexpensive Ionanthas. Single plants would also be very light to carry home if you wish (put them in a padded box you can carry under your coat if it's very cold out).

For ID info: I started reading this forum, going back to the beginning and working forward, and found this:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bromeliad/msg0407265730617.html?4

with pictures still available (many pictures in other posts, mostly pics by Gonzer, are gone...)

Websites with good pictures (and one can order from them): Tropiflora, Airplants4u, Rainforestflora, CTSairplants, and sometimes I just see the name of a plant that sounds interesting and I google it with good results (like finding this forum!)

Keep us informed of your progress!

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 11:16AM
debbyabq

I found in this subforum a link to good pictures:

http://wholesaletillandsias.com/index.php?p=1_7_Tillandsia-Pictures

and on other places in that site, as well as some care instructions

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 1:28PM
FluffyClou

Thanks a lot, Debby!!!
I might get a Tillandsia in the next two weeks, and I think I would need to get some grow lights as well :)

Thank you for the site links :)
I will definitely do some more research on this! :)
I'll post pics once I get my Tillandsia :D

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 2:15PM
More Discussions
ID this curly Bromeliad
Ready to put these in the ground. Forgot to ask the...
halfwaythere1
treated timber
So the time has come to rebuild my pergola where I...
Adam Harbeck
Thoughts on my tillandsia gardeneri?
When I bought y T. gardeneri in May last year it looked...
Iris Lau
ID please
PAnother blooming that needs ID Thanx Carmen
gardencraze
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™