Alphabet Game

dellis530(6B)February 24, 2012

Thanks for humoring me with these silly posts guys. Its 36 days until the plants go out (weather permitting) and I'm really bugging now.

Another post I remember seeing in these forums long ago was the Alphabet Game. The Aeoninium post reminded me of it. The first person posts as many plants as they want that start with "A". Can be a botanical, scientific or common name. Can be the whole genus name or a cultivar name. The only rule is it has to be a plant you own or used to own. Everyone can add to the "A's" if you want. Then someone post a "B" plant, get it? The letter changes when someone posts the next letter. It should be fun.

Denise

I'll start with my Aeonium sp.

and Alluadiaprocera.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ctreeteac(Zone 8b; rain-spewing Oregon)

Alrighty, I'm game.

Aeonium arboreum luteovariegatum

Agave lophantha 'Quadricolor'

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 1:10AM
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida

Aloe and some Agave in the beginning of this week. Denise I am going to enjoy this post. Have a great day all! Paula

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 3:34AM
hanzrobo(11)

Denise, you have great ideas for threads. I'll play, but I'm going to suggest we make this the "A" thread because I can already see where this is going.

Aloinopsis malherbei

Argyroderma sp.

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 3:52AM
rosemariero6(z10 /ss24 So. Calif.)

Another good one, Denise! We've done this many times (on several forums). You've expanded the rules on this one. You could be in the A's for quite awhile! LOL One thing to consider, if things have not changed here...I believe they only allow for 100 posts per thread. You might not make it to the end of the alphabet. In the past, there was only 1 plant per letter of the alphabet, so you had to hurry if you had a particular lettered plant you wanted to post & it had to be your own. If/when we got to the end, we started over.

Fun way to see folks' plants!

Astroworthia bicarinata (or skinneri, depending who you ask):

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 12:29PM

Woah, Rosemarie, that plant is awesome.

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 12:43PM

Anacampseros/Avonia papyracea without & with bloom

Anacampseros baeseckei, first blooms

Avonia quinaria ssp. quinaria 1st bloom I caught-plus potted up

Aloe striata with bud (I've been told these are variable & this is NOT a hybrid)

Adromischus cristata v. zeyheri

There are many more in the 'A's, but I have to get some chores done here! LOL

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 2:10PM

The second shot of the Avonia quinaria ssp. quinaria is just about the cutest thing I've ever seen. The stump just gives it charm. And the blooms on the Anacampseros/Avonia papyracea-- swoon!!

Aeonium 'Ballerina,' favorite furious grower

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 2:37PM
greenclaws UKzone8a

...ok guys, here's one of my Adeniums for you.....

and one of my Agave sisalanas...

Gill from the UK.

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 3:25PM

I am a sucker for variegated plants..any!

Ryan, I like your mesembs! I think I still have one Aloinopsis that still lives~LOL, but fear I killed the only Argyroderma I had.

Colleen, glad you like my plants. I may have to beg a pc of A. 'Ballerina' off you. :P I used to have it, but it's gone now. I have a different variegated Aeonium, whose name I can't recall at the moment!

Gill, nice little Adenium (thanks for the pen for size ref)! Nice to see a regular Agave sisalana. I have a variegated one (at least, I think so). I'm going to go compare. It was sold to me as a Furcraea. Just looked-the shape of my leaves is not the same-it doesn't have the curve in the leaf. (back to the drawing board)

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 4:46PM

Oh, yeah, you don't have 'Ballerina'? Well, surprise I've got something you don't! I'll make a note. :)

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 4:57PM

Ha ha, yep..Colleen, don't have that one. =D Thanks!

Sooo...we're still on the 'A's, eh? Ready for some MORE???

Some more: Aeonium hybrid (urbicum x canariense - I believe) & 'Zwartkop' (one of my favorite shots):

Aloes...a large-toothed hemmingii I wish I still had!

Aloe juvenna, hybrid from PA Pete, Aloe 'Sparkling Beauty'

Aloinopsis schooneesii

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 5:58PM
dellis530(6B)

Wowee,
I was gone all day (visiting my daughters soon to be college) and when I get back I see at least 10 more plants I MUST have. You guys have been holding out, seriously start putting more pics up!

Rosemarie - If this post gets to full we can just start another thread. I think I saw this one time on the tropicals forum and everyone had so much fun that they started over when they got to "Z". We could just wait til theres a lull and then post the next letter? No pressure, we can just wing it too.

Denise

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 6:23PM

Oh, the A. urbicum x canariense is really something else. The size of those, and the reds!

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 6:53PM
squishyplant

Ariocarpus retusus v. furfuraceus -Las Tablas

Astrophytum hybrid

Astrophytum hybrid

Astrophytum sp.

Astrophytum myriostigma v. columnare cv. minima (cv. Huboki)

Astrophytum coahuilense x. A. asterias

Astrophytum asterias nudum

Astrophytum myriostigma

Matthew

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 11:54PM
chaparralgirl(Sonoran Desert (CA))

*iiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!* :) :) :)

I lovelovelovelovelove those Astrophytums!!!! Oh, I'm swooning! I'm swooning! I'm falling! I'm- *THUD* ow! I fell. Oh! And I'm still swooning! I can't- I can't look anymore! Too cute! Yumminess overload! Shutdown! Shutdown!

I have to crawl into my sensory deprivation chamber now...

*CG*

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 1:29AM

*ahem* Ok, but on a more serious note, I was gonna take some pics of some of my "A" plants, but as I was going through them this morning I noticed some of my plants seemed fairly stressed - so I ended up spending half the day repotting. Then I got sucked into other things. So I'll have to join in the Alphabet Game later, maybe tomorrow. But I'm loving everyone's contributions so far! Great show!

*CG*

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 1:32AM
caudex1

Aloe castilloniae

Aloe plicatilis

Anacampseros telephiastrum

Aloinopsis rubrolineata

Ammocharis coranica

Avonia alstonii

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 5:34AM
dellis530(6B)

That Aloe castilloniae made me dizzy. Must google it and calm down. lol

Denise

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 8:04AM
longaeva54

Agave desmettiana variegata

Agave isthmensis ohi raijin

Agave parryi cream Spike

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 8:22AM

These are two fellows that have been with me for 35 years one as an original plant and the other as off springs. I know most people wish for their plants to bloom but the agave I do not. He is an old friend and I would hate to lose him.

I was drunk and 23 when I took this aloe from the neighbor of Mark Pendergast, hence the name. The parent plant was the size of a house.

I have been enjoying this post. Everyone's plants are awesome and thank you for sharing with me! Paula

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 8:42AM

Matthew, GREAT Astrophytum & Ariocarpus!

Keith, wonderful plants & pots, as usual! I saw an Aloe castilloniae at the recent show as well. Just made me want it more! Didn't realize that Anacampseros had that caudex! Guess I'll have to lift one of mine to see. Love the blooms on A. rubrolineata & the Avonia. You managed to come up with one I haven't seen before: Ammocharis coranica! Nice!!

VERY nice Agaves, longaeva54!! Love the variegated guys!

Paula, that IS a VERY old Agave! Congrats! No, you don't want it flowering...just yet!

A couple more 'A's before moving on to the 'B's...
Aichryson tortuosum, an unknown Aichryson & Aptenia cordifolia

Astrophytum asterias (2), Astrophytum capricorne v niveum (2)

Variegated Agave sisalana (AFAIK)

As far as I know, Agave franzosinii, as seen on one of my dog walks (it's a monster!):

Who wants to start the 'B' plants?? :P

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 12:35PM

Rosie: Should we keep all the letters in the same thread, or start a new one for each letter?

*CG*

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 1:07PM

Ask Denise! A new thread for each letter sounds more organized. Then if folks come along down the road-can still add to each letter!

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 1:21PM

Ok.

Denise: A new thread for each letter? :)

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 2:28PM

I vote (lol if there is a vote) for a different thread for each letter. Paula

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 2:55PM
dellis530(6B)

Sounds good to me. That makes more sense if someone comes in the middle.

Denise

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 4:19PM

Ok, I've brought my "A" game! :) I know some folks have moved on to the B's, but I don't have any B's (that I know of, anyway), so here are my A's.

Adromischus maculatus 'Calico Hearts'

Aeonium
Aeonium sp.

Agave
Agave sp.

The Agave closer to the front/foreground was sent to me by Stush; the one further back I found on campus and am hoping will root. I don't know either species.

Aloes
Aloe brevifolia 'Crododile Plant'

Well, so says the label on the pot.

Aloe 'Blue Elf' (Erin's)

One of the aloes I got for Erin, but am holding on to, to see if it comes down with aloe cancer.

Aloe 'Blue Elf' (mine)

My own 'Blue Elf' that I bought sometime...last year? The year before?

Aloe californium

One of my recovering sisters from last fall/winter.

Aloe 'Lizard Lips'

Aloe 'Whalemsly's Blue' (Erin's)

The other aloe I got for Erin that I'm keeping an eye on for aloe cancer.

Aloe 'Zanzibar'

I remember that 'Zanzibar' isn't its real name, but I'm too lazy to look up the thread where the name was clarified.

Aloinopsis
Aloinopsis malherbii

Aloinopsis rubrolineata

A spent/faded flower tucked in there somewhere...

Anacampseros
Anacampseros lubersii

A pale shadow of its former glory, but still kicking nonetheless.

Anacampseros rufescens

*CG*

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 6:20PM
katluvr

Jeff this is the pic of the Adenia species that the new kitten was laying in it's pot.

white flowered Adenium

Adenium 'liliput' in bloom

Sorry I know this is not a succulent but I have had this forever and it finally bloomed last year! It does start with an A lol!Amorphophallus bulbifera

unnamed adenium

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 6:39PM

Kat: Wow, that Amorphophalus is amazing! Succulent or not, thanks for sharing!

*CG*

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 8:14PM
katluvr

beautiful plants every one, i want one of everything! this is almost as good going to a real show, thank you all for sharing your fantastic plants i am in awe!
Ronda

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 8:54PM
hanzrobo(11)

I thought everyone forgot about Adromischus so I went and took some photos before the sun went down, come back here and CG beat me to it! Great post by the way, Jessica, very thorough. I love those greyish/lavender Aeoniums you have. I'm also a big fan of Anacampseros, I didn't even think of those.

I'd really like to have a wider variety of these.

Adromischus festivus

Adromischus oviforme

Adromischus I cannot identify that seems happy despite being planted in beach sand mix by an inexperienced dummy (me).

BTW, great flowers, Katluvr!

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 9:53PM

Ryan: The "Calico Hearts" is the only Adromischus I have; I'm thrown every time I read the latin name, I'm so unfamiliar with it. :) I love the ones you posted! I'm also partial to Anacampseros. Hope to grow out my collection over time. Of course, that goes for all of my plants. :)

*CG*

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 10:41PM

Yay, Jessica's Aeoniums!!

I love the Adromischus festivus. Such a beauty.

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 12:05AM

Jessica, Thanks for bringing your 'A' game! Beautiful plants! Loved it! I could go on for quite some time with Aloes...then add the other Agave, few Adromischus & Anacampseros...I'd be here all day! (better not)
I have a couple tweaks for your names: Aloe californium is probably Aloe 'California'
Spelling 'Walmsley's Blue'
'Zanzibar' is really Aloe juvenna

Ryan, thanks for posting your Adromischus festivus! I have this-tagged as A. cooperi, knew in the back of my head that wasn't right, but forgot to check it out.

Ronda, I gasped when I saw the pic of your first Adenia! LOVE the leaves...shape & variegation! Wow! Do you have a species name on it?? Gorgeous Adenium blooms & brave girl to have the Amorphophallus...or doesn't it stink? Neat plant!

Everyone has helped to put on a great show! Thanks!

Bookmark   February 28, 2012 at 2:54PM
katluvr

Hi *CG*, Thanks so much, glad you like the "A" it is an odd plant to be sure, and BTW if you ever decide to de-pup your Aloe brevifolia I would love to trade you something for a pup or send postage whatever you decide, I love that plant!I am also wanting a variegated one as well if you happen upon one!

Rosemarie, Thank you I have had that Adenia since 1982. The only name I have for it is Adenia species # 2, it came from Ed Storms.As for the Amorphopallus believe it or not it dose not smell bad, but then I have not stuck my nose to it lol, it was sitting outside so I guess if it smells it was greatly diluted!
Every one your plants are so wonderful,I am planning to make more room for more plants some how, thanks to you all, I gotta have one of each lol! Ronda

Bookmark   February 28, 2012 at 6:32PM

Rosie: Yeah, after I posted, I realized the mistake on the 'California', and I couldn't remember what the 'Zanzibar' was and was feeling too lazy to look it up. Thanks for the spelling correction on 'Walmsley's Blue'. I had a feeling it wasn't quite right, but again, feeling lazy...

*CG*

Bookmark   February 28, 2012 at 10:25PM
kaktuskris(5)

Aloe marlothii

Christopher

Bookmark   February 28, 2012 at 11:16PM
andrewofthelemon(7b Central Arkansas)

Aloe Vera
Note, this one is deceased, I am growing three large pups of it.
I just don't have pics of them

Bookmark   February 28, 2012 at 11:28PM
chadec7a

Here's me coming in really late! My favorite 2 agaves ovatifolia and gentryi jaws.

Bookmark   March 1, 2012 at 8:10PM
aseedisapromise

Here is Aptenia cordifolia, of which I rescued a couple of cuttings from the Chamber of Commerce's planter outside when it was going down to zero F the next night. I guess it is a problem plant in warm areas, but not so here, where it has to be in a pot so it can come inside fo the winter. My old faithful Astrophytum ornatum is also a rescue from the back of the shelf at Wal Mart long ago. It is much bigger now, but blooms for me every year, so I still have it.

varigated Aptenia cordifolia

Astrophytum ornatum

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 9:29AM

^ The varigated Aptenia cordifolia is beautiful. I'd want to scoop up that plant in a heartbeat. :)

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 11:30AM
aseedisapromise

If you want to trade for some, email me when it gets a little warmer.

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 1:47PM

I might take you up on that! :) That'd be wonderful. The variegation, plus the blooms, is too sweet.

Colleen

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 2:05PM

Ronda, send me an email about the A. brevifolia. I think I can help you out. :)

Christopher, your Aloe marlothii looks great! Similar to one I have, but I still don't know if that's it or if it's A. aculeata. Yours looks much better than mine! :P

Nice Aloe vera, Andrew. Glad to hear you still have pups from it!

Never too late, Chad! Two GREAT Agaves you have there!

One of these days I will grow some variegated Aptenia too! Love it. Interesting your Astrophytum has very little speckling (white scales), aseedisapromise. Nice plants!

~Rosemarie

Bookmark   March 4, 2012 at 11:34AM
sherryinmaine(5a)

Hi Caudex1, where'd you buy your ammocharis? I have looked for one, but cant find any online vendors (in this country anyway)

All the photos are beautiful!

Bookmark   March 5, 2012 at 4:32PM
lioony

So will you still be interested in checking out a new farming simulation game when it hits Facebook? Here we mean Astro Garden. --- mmohunter

Here is a link that might be useful: Free MMORPG

Bookmark   March 5, 2012 at 10:00PM
aseedisapromise

Hi rosemarie. I think that my Astrophytum is greener because there is much less sun here in South Dakota than there is in the plateaus of central Mexico. The white dots are for sun protection I think. I am just happy it can get a flower or two.

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 8:52AM
caudex1

A friend brought me an old (40+yo) Astrophyum to make a pot and stage for her. This is what it looked like. It has been in that pot for more than 20yrs

...and this is what I came up up with, she was very happy with the result.

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 9:17AM
houstontexas123(z9a)

Aloe Vera ?

momma aloe w/ inflo

pups from last summer

Bookmark   March 7, 2012 at 3:53PM
jeepman69(8b)

Here are some of my "A" plants.

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 12:55AM
More Discussions
Just received large order of Cheridopsis and need soil mix recommend
Any recommendations regarding a soil mix for Cheridopsis?...
Bama_Joe
Spring repots anyone???
I've already started my Spring repots even though it's...
deva33 Z5 SE Iowa
Saved from Perdition
Dear Forum, You don't know it but you have saved a...
fakechuchi
March blooms (2015)
March is here...what succulents do you have blooming? Not...
rina_
what is this propigation and what can I do with the root?!
this is something a friend of mine gave my mom in a...
Britni Rice
Sponsored Products
Vegaz Y LED Alphabet Lamp
Lightology
Playing Card Suit Wall D├ęcor Set
$44.99 | zulily
Riviera Brushed Nickel Four-Light Pendant with Stepped Matte Black Shade
$428.00 | Bellacor
Detroit Tigers Game Time Bowl
$12.99 | zulily
American Heritage Bella Bar in Mojave
Beyond Stores