Best size pot to grow Brugmansia?

olympia_gardener(5)March 24, 2012

Hi, I am new to Brugmansia world. Never heard about it before but have read about it a lot from this forum recently. The more I read, the more I like it. It sounds like a fantastic plant to have, especially its flower size, scent, and the name, Angel's Trumpet. .

I ordered couple of them this year. My order has not come yet, but I am preparing for their arrival. I live in zone 5 which means that I have to move them indoor during the winter months. Would anyone suggest a best size pot I should put them in so they can grow and flower freely without breaking my back when I move them indoor in the fall. 8", 10", 12", or large??? Thanks a lot for your advise.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
figara(Ca 9)

Hi, olimpia_gardener and welcome to the forum. My brugs are in different size pots depending on how big the plants are. Smaller plant smaller pot, bigger plants bigger pots. When they grow and I see roots coming from bottom I know it's time to pot up.
Most of my full grown brugs are in 5 gal ( black nursery pots) and just 3-4 in 15 gal pots and those I do not move in winter. But my winter is mild with just a few frosting days. It is easy to keep mature brugs in 5 gal pots by root pruning in the spring and cutting them back when the winter comes and you are ready to store them. Hope this help.

Pat

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 6:11PM
olympia_gardener(5)

Hi, Pat

Thanks a lot . Hope my Brugmansia arrive soon.I can't wait to pot them and watch them grow.

What is the diameter of 5 gl pot? I don't think Home Depot sales pots go by gl. I have to translate gl into inches.

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 7:17PM
figara(Ca 9)

Sorry, I have no idea and right now is raining very hard and I do not want to go outside to measure. When you go to home depot look in the garden center and look at the potted plants. It will say on the pot the size and you can compare with the one you want to buy or you can ask somebody in the garden center.

Pat

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 10:47PM
olympia_gardener(5)

Hi, Pat. I will do. Thank you very much for your help. If my brugmansia ever flowers this fall or next year, I will post some pictures for fellow brugmansia fans.

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 9:54PM
More Discussions
WANTED: Well rooted brug plants-can't root a cutting!
I love these plants and have tried multiple times to...
skipper08
Question for Rosie1949. Re overwintering brugs in water
I posted this on another thread but since it may not...
mnwsgal 4 MN
brugmansia cuttings for postage?
Hi Guys!! I haven't been on in awhile, my new little...
keriann_lakegeneva
ok for planting into yard?
This is cut tip of young relatively small Brugmansia. Unknown...
four
Angel Trumpet Plant Help Please!
This is a plant my mother gave me right before she...
kevbridg
Sponsored Products
Bell Shade with Gold Lace Trim 7x20x13.75 (Spider)
$89.99 | Lamps Plus
Lola Black Bed Frame
Overstock.com
Select Luxury Reversible 4-inch Full-size Foam Sofa Bed Sleeper Mattress
Overstock.com
Darlee Charleston Swivel Rocker Club Chair - DL1096-1/101
$559.99 | Hayneedle
TRIBECCA HOME Filton Faux Leather Upholstered Queen-size Bed
Overstock.com
Classic Pre-lit Window Christmas Swag Christmas Decor
$39.50 | FRONTGATE
Surya Vivid VIV-838 Area Rug - Golden Raisin - VIV838-2642