Are there cactus seeds that I shouldnt try given my zone?

wilsocnMarch 14, 2012

Hi

A couple of years ago I started growing cacti thanks to one of those little variety packs you can pick up at places like Wal-Mart. It has turned out pretty well and I even started some San Pedro which are doing good also.

I was going to start another packet but I would like try something different. I noticed that they are selling what appears to be an old man cactus at my local Lowe's so I was thinking of trying that out.

I am just not sure if there are varieties that I should stay away from given my area. I start them under lights and after a few months they start going outdoors and during the warm/hot months my back deck is their home. It receives about 5-6 good hours of sunlight a day before it is shaded again.

Could I try something like Cephalocereus senilis given that under optimal conditions at my home it will receive a max of 6 hours of direct light and only from about March till cold weather gets here again? Will it do ok in a sunny window during the cold months?

I am open for any other suggestions as far as different types of cactus are concerned.

Thanks everyone

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aseedisapromise

I too have been suckered in the past by the easy sprouting seed packs of cacti at WalMart. I think the answer lies in what you are willing to do. I have scaled back on the bigger cacti as I run out of room at the sunny windows, and I'm not willing to spend money on lights and greenhouses and so on. I've had a Cephalocereus senilis since the eighties, but his life hasn't been a bowl of cherries. I've cut his cephalo off several times and rerooted a small piece as he just gets too big and heavy for me to carry in and out of my house. It's brutal. My neighbor about had a cow when he saw me cut the top off. It was such a cute little plant when I got it that reminded me of what my dh looks like when he wakes up in the morning. One thing I do is I don't water my cacti at all when there isn't enough sun to support good growth. If you are into cacti for the long haul, I would try to buy ones that stay small longer. My favorite one of mine is a gymnocalycium that has a jillion little off sets all in a tiny 3 in pot, and it blooms for me every year. Perhaps someone here knows of a smaller cactus that would be as cute as a C senilis.

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 8:56AM
wilsocn

Thanks for the advice, promise. I will definitely give the gymnocalycium a look. It is a nice looking plant and am happy to hear that it flowers for you. That is one thing I was curious about, whether our summers here are long enough for the most of these cacti to actually flower.

I placed an order with an cactusstore today for some seeds but I didnt see this post before actually ordering. Still I did pick up another variety pack (completely different from the wal-mart pack) and some old man cactus seeds.

Some seeds that I just started 4 days ago are starting to germinate now, so hopefully I can get them to grow a little faster by not making some of the same mistakes I have made in the past: under watering and too much light too fast.

Thanks again for the advice

Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 1:26AM
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida

www.mesagarden.com see if they have something for you there. I too grow the packets from the store and I have not purchased anything from these people even tho I have known about them for 25 years. I have always wanted to grow opuntia from seed. Time for a push in my direction. LOL wilsocn I hope this helps you. Paula headed outside!

Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 8:31AM
More Discussions
Mother of Thousands (Kalanchoe)- can I prune it?
I have two of these in pots. The main problem is that...
elizabethk1
Just washed cacti and euphorbia roots..safe to leave out overnight?
Just washed roots on my shipment from Arid Lands. ...
Bama_Joe
Echeveria leaves falling off and stem turning dark?
Hello, I'm new on this website and could use some help...
adelalis
What to do with this?
Hi everyone we had this superb plant in our garden...
garazy
preparing the new season
A first post on Houzz. This is a picture from the beginning...
hablu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™