Super excited

Springpatch77March 30, 2012

I'll try not to make this sound like a promotion for High Country Gardens. I just got my order in the mail today. Normally the plants are really small. I ordered a hesperaloe parviflora 'brakelights' and it was a really nice size. Granted it was in a gallon pot and cost $25 but it was worth it. The agave parryi looks really cool too. The regular hesperaloe parviflora was real small but it was cheap abou $8 and I'm excited about seeing it grow anyway.

I'll try to get some pictures soon.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosemariero6(z10 /ss24 So. Calif.)

Looking forward to seeing pix of your new plants, Springpatch! =D

Bookmark   April 1, 2012 at 6:31PM
chrisware(5-6 wv)

Good luck with the hesperaloe!

I want to try another one in my cacti garden. Unfortunately, deer ate some of mine and it rotted the first year, but everything else I got from high country has been amazing.
My Agave parryi was supposed to be non suckering, but it puts out suckers like crazy....... But I'm really glad it does though. Now the other parryi from them has put out none, so I guess they balance each other out.

I also ordered the nolina bear grass from them. It looks really nice growing with the cacti too, and I've never protected it from the wet freezing winters here in the mountains.

Chris

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 9:54PM
chadec(N.C.7b)

I got my brakelights a few weeks ago and love it! Can't wait to see it in bloom!!!! I also got another neomexicano sunspot agave!

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 8:36PM
Springpatch77

Chris, did your hesperaloe rot from the rain or from the snow and freezes? I put mine right next to the house and even though it is in sand, it doesn't seem to dry out very well in this spot.

What has suprised me is that it receives less than a half a day of sun and I can already tell that it's growing. It doesn't have that whitish look like it needs more sunlight either.

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 10:56PM
Springpatch77

I finally got around to taking pictures and I got my hesperaloes planted. I really like the way the brakelights looks with Salvia and Dianthus but I don't think it's going to work in the spot I have it in. The hesperaloe is starting to flower also but the soil doesn't have good drainage at all.

Don't know if it shows from the picture but the leaves on the hesperaloe have a reddish look. I'm not sure if this is normal

My little cactus garden I just put in this year. I probably won't leave it there. It's more of an experiment than anything b/c I'm not sure if anything will survive the winter.

This is my yucca rostrata that arrived. It's small but alot bigger than the one I got 2 years ago.

Very small hesperaloe parviflora. I actually planted this one the way the experts advise.

Here's my agave parryi flagstaff form I got in the mail. I like the way it looks but it looks very different from the other agave parryi I have planted in my cactus garden.

Barrel cactus

The tag said it's a torch cactus. I've had it about 2 years.

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 10:43PM
More Discussions
Help new cacti ID and everything is dying :/
Ok a bit dramatic but here's my new cacti Close ups If...
birdgerhl
Snow Day Succulents
I hope everyone in the NE is enjoying their snow day!...
ehuns27 7a PA
Help with Fred Ives succulent
This is my Fred Ives succulent and I was just wondering...
Elizabeth Thornton
Zebra cactus (hawarthia) help?
Ok, so I first posted at the end of January about my...
niknac
My Hobbits and Gollums... any further id welcome
I can guess some id's but I am not 100% sure, as I...
nanzjade_z5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™