Unidentified Purple-Colored Plant (Succulent?), California

ssoda909February 28, 2009

This little guy was a stow-away in a $2 potted "Pregnant Onion" plant I bought at OSH earlier this week. If it is, in fact, some type of succulent, then it's certainly a welcome (not to mention, a bargain) addition to my little succulent family... but I cannot find a name for it anywhere. Surely, one of you out there can help? (Pretty please.)

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xerophyte_nyc(7)

Kalanchoe daigremontiana

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 6:24AM
ssoda909

That's it! Thanks so much. :o)

Bookmark   March 1, 2009 at 2:24AM
joshinator

Buckle your seat belt! From what I've heard, Kalanchoe daigremontiana may not be such a welcome addition to your collection after all, IF you're not careful. As adults, they form a baby plantlet in every notch of the leaves, giving rise to the common name "Mother of Thousands". It is a beautiful plant, to be sure, but those plantlets have been known to grow in the oddest places. Check out http://plantsarethestrangestpeople.blogspot.com/2007/11/evil-genius-kalanchoe-daigremontiana.html.

Bookmark   March 1, 2009 at 9:48AM
ssoda909

Yes, I had Googled it and learned as much shortly after finding out the name, and had begun to wonder if I really was as happy about having it as I initially thought. Thanks for the additional info. It helps to hear that I'm not the only one who'd be skeptical to keep it. I may end up just getting rid of it, after all.

Bookmark   March 1, 2009 at 2:18PM
ariole(z7DE)

For this one, let's go for K. houghtonii. (previously Bryophyllum 'Houghton's Hybrid').
K daigremontiana has turned up leaf edges where the base connects to the petiole. The plant shown does not.

Al

Bookmark   March 1, 2009 at 7:48PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

I always think this is a fun plant to share w/little kids. They can enjoy seeing how it grows its little babies.

In some cases this is a very unwelcome & invasive plant. I've heard stories that it will take root in drapes, carpets, virtually anywhere. so pls. be forwarded.

Also, if you don't move it away from your other potted plants, it's likely to start popping up in your other pots nearby.

Bookmark   March 3, 2009 at 9:55PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Excuse me, pardon my typo. In the next to the last sentence I meant to type pls. be forewarned.

Bookmark   March 6, 2009 at 8:56PM
debbysunshine(san diego)

I own one of these and they are very nice and can grow very tall with orange flowers. If you keep it in a pot with it's own suckers it was quite a sight and rather expensive to purchase. I've recently found one of this shape growing in the garden but it is all dark green with white edges. It got tall and bent over so that the heavy top rooted and is growing so it is propigating itself before it has a chance to make little planets.

Bookmark   March 25, 2009 at 12:06AM
paulzie32(9)

Looks like K. serrata to me

Bookmark   April 27, 2009 at 9:19PM
More Discussions
Need ID on a plant in South Maui
After driving past this area or South Maui for at least...
chisue
Interesting "Topsy Turvey" Hybrid?
I picked this one up at HD . I know that it looks very...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Id this one for me please!
The tall one in the back, thanks!
vngavnga
What kind of cactus is this?
And why is it forming brown rings around the trunk...
rebeccaben
What kind of cactus is this?
My husband brought me a tall thin cactus back from...
gin54
Sponsored Products
Cosmo Wall Sconce by Eurofase
$48.00 | Lumens
Nico 4 Opal Stone Bronze Sconce
$162.00 | Bellacor
Cole & Co. 66" Designer Series Collier Sink Chest - Medium Chestnut
Modern Bathroom
Secret Garden Niko Swing Arm Wall Lamp
Lamps Plus
Artless | Melinda Settee
YLiving.com