Please Help My Ghost Cactus

borrego(Z 10 L.A. Cal.)February 19, 2006

This is how it was when I got it. Told it was sunburned. I have two questions about it. First, will it grow out of the sunburn damage, or will the discoloration always be there? Will the spots continue to grow as the plant does? Secondly, what has caused the 90 degree bend in the plant? Should it be cut and replanted or do I have one heck of a conversation piece if I leave it as is?

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cactusdan19(z5b NE)

Borrego,
It is an EUPHORBIA LACTEA V. VARIEGATA, ghost plant. Yes the scaring will be there until it gets old enough to form a bark covered trunk, long time. As far as the bend, could be a number of things, too much water fertilizer, light direction, something laid on it :-) If I were to make a cut, I would cut in two places. At the fist joint, just above the first branching. Wash the cuts well under flowing water to remove all the latex (it hinders root growth), use a rooting hormone and keep warm (under pot heat mats are ideal for this). I took some cuttings of E. canariensis this fall and kept them on heat and under close lights all winter and they are all well rooted now.
After the cuttings all root/branch/grow, then you will want to keep them in good light. The stump will put up new branches and should in time cover up all the scarring.
Dan
Lincoln, NE USDA 5

Bookmark   February 19, 2006 at 11:47AM
More Discussions
help ID opuntia from colorado
i recieved this from colorado. my friend says its seen...
cactusgrower313
id help
Cant figure out exactly what this cactus is
youngbuck1
Need information on this plant
Do you know the name of this plant? Is it a indoor...
homegrownc
What kind of cacti is this?
Anyone know what type this is? Very thick and unique...
gwod1
What is this succulent?
A friend gave me a lot of this succulent, but she didn't...
fre2bme64
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™