Puya venusta rotted

wantonamara Z8 CenTexAugust 30, 2009

I had some yellow/white mushroom like fungus start growing from the base of my Puya and now it has lost its top really quickly. after ripping off its top leaf by leaf, there is some hard plant at the ground level. Should I just toss it dirt and all in the trash or shall I dig out the plant , shake the soil off the roots, dip it in fungecide and put it in new dirt? I did put some fungicide on the pot already. I removed it from the other plants. I have never had this happen before. It has been during a 2 months of 100 degree weather in Texas. I was probably watering it once a week. It was in part shade. The other puya is AOK

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pinkbroms

Hi wantonamara

This is just a fungus that is not harmful to your plant.

Your plant is probably in a humus rich, moist soil ??,
hence the mushrooms, it would be best in a more sandy type mix for better drainage & in full sun with good air circulation.

Pinkbroms

Bookmark   August 31, 2009 at 6:31AM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

The soil was not that moist but it did have rocks on top that might have slowed down the evaporation enough. We did have a rain about a week ago that might have got it started. I read that Puyas liked RICH dry soil so I gave it potting soil instead of cactus soil. The puya without rocks on top right next to it is fine. I have changed both their soils. I am very hesitant about putting things out in full sun in Texas during the kind of drought we are having. but I will give them more. We are having our first cool front . Highs below onehindred. I woke up to the sound of NO AC!!!! YEA. Thankyou.

Bookmark   August 31, 2009 at 10:49AM
angellilly

I dont know if it is the same but i had a guzmania that rotted pretty badly from overwatering (my bad!)that seemed completely dead.Was i wrong!I didnt throw it away just moved it in another place and forgot about it...It gave me 3 healthy pups after 4 months of nothingness(...)!I was stunned!you might get lucky too!

Bookmark   September 2, 2009 at 4:40PM
pinkbroms

Hi angellilly

I think you just learnt the lesson I've been telling people here in Aus. re their heavy water restrictions they have been on. A lot of their plants are still surviving even with-out a lot of watering, so don't over do it & waste water. Well done.

Pinkbroms

Bookmark   September 2, 2009 at 8:46PM
More Discussions
colour change + floppy plants
hi all, i was shocked to find that 2 of my plants had...
drmedusae
Aech ampla
Does anybody out there grow Aech ampla? Do you have...
avane_gw
Please help with ID
Can someone please ID this Brom for me.
gardencraze
Problems with scale
Members, Indiana grower here. I have a major problem...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
ID please
PAnother blooming that needs ID Thanx Carmen
gardencraze
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™