Can anyone tell me if this is root rot or under watering?

cyneoMarch 8, 2014

Hi I am very new to succulents but i really love them so when this fella started to look weird I decided to dig up the decorative rocks that came with it and i saw this. I tried to touch the soil, but it is hard and needed some digging to get past the surface.

I have not done anything much to it since i got it last week. i tried pressing the leaves, and most of them were hard like they are supposed to be(?) and one or two of them felt like dried sponge. I think this is underwatering? but i am not sure.

I killed 2 plants from over over watering already so I am very hesitant to add more water to the plant.

Do advise!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cyneo

I gave in ti my panic instinct and watered it. After wetting the soil, i used a tooth pick to loosen the soil. From the looks of it, the soil is moist and there is no 'leftover' water. I hope i didn't damage the roots too much and that i didn't water too much that i risk root rot =(

Bookmark   March 8, 2014 at 4:52AM
deva33 Z5 SE Iowa

I can't tell from the pic if it is root rot or not. The soil looks very dry, so I would have watered it too. Is it still in the soil you purchased it in? If so I would recommend repotting it in fresh soil. You can find treads on here for soil combinations. Hope that helps!

Bookmark   March 8, 2014 at 1:06PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Looks at a glance like rot coming up at the bottom. Is it soft & or mushy? That would be rot for sure & would need to be cut off completely.

Sorry, but that looks like rot at the base of that plant, will only spread over time.

Pls. be sure the pot has a drainage hole -- if not there will be future problems as well.

Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 5:24PM
plantomaniac08(8)

PG,
I didn't see that darkness at the base of the OP's plants. Let's hope it's just the lighting and not rot. :/

Planto

Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 5:57PM
cyneo

Unfortunately it isn't the lighting... But the dark area doesn't seem to be growing over the last 3 days. Is it recommended that I treat it as rot and try to slice it off and replant?

Photo is the picture of it after pulling it out of the soil. The dark parts are hard. Some of the 'petals' which were spongy 3 days ago are now hard. Not sure if that is due to uptake of water.

This post was edited by cyneo on Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 10:22

Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 10:15AM
cyneo

Also if i need to repot, is the soil in the background ok? I just dug it our from storage somewhere and i think it used to be fish tank sand...

Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 11:37AM
Sundewd(9B)

Looks like it sat in moist soil for too long as got stained- do leaves freely tug away from the plant? If so then that's a surefire sign of aloe root rot. I've had some do this just from humidity so be careful with that water useage. Don't water it unless it looks floopy or starts to get yellow. I would also not recommend anything that came from a fish tank. Too salty. Use a well draining mix with little organics.

Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 5:19PM
More Discussions
Jades on Sunday Morning
For me, one of the joys of Sunday is being able to...
kaktuskris
Echeveria ID, please.
I need help identifying this echeveria. Thanks! :)
_sbgibbons_
Some cactus like water
Who says you can't water cactus every day? This cactus...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
Just washed cacti and euphorbia roots..safe to leave out overnight?
Just washed roots on my shipment from Arid Lands. ...
Bama_Joe
New Succulent Container Garden, and need advice.
So i just made this succulent container garden, 90-95%...
kizasugondo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™