Double Header

jeffrey_harris(San Diego, CA)February 24, 2006

A closeup on a bifucating head of Graptopetalum superbum, a Graptopetalum formerly known as G. pentandrum v. superbum

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paracelsus

Jeff, I have a very different looking plant that came labeled as G. pentandrum v. superbum, but it's more blue/purple and has much thinner leaves that those pictured above. Below is my plant for comparison. Do you think its original label is correct, or has my plants real identity been lost to indiscriminant hybridization?

Â

Bookmark   February 24, 2006 at 7:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeffrey_harris(San Diego, CA)

Gee, Brad, I just don't know. But first, that's such a gorgeous plant! The sheer farinaciousness of it is striking, as well as the hues of purple; obviously a well-grown plant.

There's something in there that makes me think that it's a hybrid - perhaps the length of the leaves, or the size of the rosette. Still, I could be all wet, and what you have is a genuine Super Bum (as your tag indicated, it used to be a subspecies of G. pentandrum, but now it's been given its own specific and not subjugated under another).

Here's a pic of mine, unfortunately not a particularly good one, showing the whole plant. I'll take a better one soon.

Bookmark   February 25, 2006 at 11:30AM
More Discussions
Need help identifying
Not sure what plant this is
amy1980
Cactus ID
Hi guys, Could you help me ID this cactus? It's growth...
Sugi_C
Help with identifying this cactus
Hi Everyone. I got this cactus at the Huntington Garden...
oregonplantnut
What kind of cactus is this?
My husband brought me a tall thin cactus back from...
gin54
What is this succulent?
A friend gave me a lot of this succulent, but she didn't...
fre2bme64
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™