What will they think of next?

rina_March 28, 2012

I visited a well-known nursery and found these:

NO - they are not plastic, but look like it

YES - they are spray-painted

Rina

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida

OMG they do the same thing to orchids. I thought glueing flowers on them was bad enough. They will sell as people will believe it to be true color. Poor plants have been injected with dye. Have a great day all. Paula

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 7:29AM
rina_

I thought they were injected but I did see couple of normal color petals on some - if injected, they all should be same color? (I dont think that orchids re-bloom the injected color? - like coloured hair, it will grow out...?) I asked the clerk, she said spray-paint (she was not 100% sure thou)...poor plants! Rina

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 7:45AM
goddess9(7b)

Oh my! :( they're pretty enough not spray painted.

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 7:49AM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

They do the same thing with white orchid flowers. They inject the flower spike with a colored dye, usually an indigo blue. People buy them up not realizing when they flower again they will be white!

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 8:06AM
emerald1951

Hi I have seen those orchids..I was wondering how they got that color of blue....and now theses...yuck....whats wrong with their natural colors...true plant lovers will not like theses....I don't.....linda

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 9:13AM
landruc

[EXPLETIVE DELETED]!

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 10:57AM
ctreeteac(Zone 8b; rain-spewing Oregon)

Oh, that's just sick.

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 12:00PM
rina_

And BTW, did you notice the price tag of $9.99???
Couple of them are trying to send flower spikes...Rina

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 12:13PM
norma_2006

That is false advertising. Norma

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 1:13PM
paracelsus

Yuck! That's a new form of plant mutilation. I've never seen that marketing technique before. It might appeal to folks who buy them like cut flowers, and throw them out when they die, but for people on this this forum, that sort of thing is anathema.

Brad

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 1:20PM
Central_Cali369(Sunset Z9, Fresno, CA)

haha I guess someone might want them to give away as a gift or to have as a desk plant at their work, but what will happen when they grow out of the spray paint?

Here's a blog i found with photos of echeverias as they're growing new leaves after being sprayed.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 1:37PM
rosemariero6(z10 /ss24 So. Calif.)

Oh noooo...It's an abomination!! I was thinking they were dyed too, until you said you could see leaves their normal color & then CC found a link to some growing out of the spray.

And thanks, Brad, for making me learn a new word today: anathema! :D That fits!!

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 2:33PM
pennyhal(11Sunset23)

I suspect people will buy them like a cut flower. I can't imagine that photosynthesis can take place with paint/dye in leaves like that. Someone with more knowledge about chlorophyll will have to clarify that for me. Ignoring the color, what is the name of the plant?

Penny

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 6:43PM

I took what I could see off the labels & Googled a bit. Seems they have a Facebook page named: Terra - Where Colour Lives. So, I guess that's what they're all about...color!

Then I scrolled down to find they put 7 pix in an album called Gardens in Glass (like on the label). They show a regular Echeveria pulidonis with a painted one (rusty red) sitting in sphagnum moss, so I suppose they don't expect it to live for long.

They also had a group of 3 Echeveria: a lime runyonii, a rusty-red frilly hybrid & a purple XGraptoveria 'Debbi'.

The caption for their album is: Inspiring indoor gardens help warm up our indoor spaces!

They have several things in glass, with just rocks, or w/bits of sphagnum & rocks, looking artsy...not like they will keep any plant alive...so, like a cut flower (as someone else said).

Needless to say, I'm not going to "Like" the page, just so I can go scream at them!

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 7:03PM
ctreeteac(Zone 8b; rain-spewing Oregon)

Rosemarie, I'm not seeing where you have to "like" the page in order to scream at 'em. I'm seeing I'm able to write something regardless. And I'm tempted.

It disgusts me that people buy this crap. And I think it has a little to do with people having absolutely no taste...I can't say I'd want something nature-related and yet that blatantly artificially colored in my house. And again, why not get a fake plant...

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 10:15PM

Well I did figure out I could write a comment, but just wen I signed onto FB to do it, it wouldn't load their page fully, or mine...or anyone else's FB page, so I gave up for the time being. I think my steaming vibes made everything go haywire!! I will go back!

I suppose these colored things might be like getting green beer on St. Patrick's Day, or sprayed carnations to make your prom dress. Ha ha!

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 10:34PM
andrewofthelemon(7b Central Arkansas)

Ya, i see the blue orchids ALL THE TIME!!!!@!@!#$!$ at my grocery store, makes me mad

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 12:15AM
flowerpottipper

They also spray paint poinsettias....I remember when I first saw the blue orchids, I just had to have one, but then I discovered they where dyed that color, suddenly the appeal to wanting one went away...

Nature and nature's colors are already beautiful, why would they ruin it??

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 1:37AM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Now that is plain white trash plants...what a waste.

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 4:06AM
cactusmcharris

Mara,

That's insulting WT, if that's possible. This is a crime against succulenity.

Rina,

What nursery did you see them at? I'll have to have a word with them, seeing as I'm being seen as an authority on matters succulent in the southern BC interior. I'm already painting the picket signs here.

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 12:03PM
rina_

They were at Terra, located in Milton, 12800 Britannia Rd; Ontario. This is first time I was in this greenhouse (maybe last too...).
Tha sales clerk looked little surprised when I commented that it's awfull what is done to plants, I think they did not get that many complaints yet. The picket signs are great idea! Rina

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 11:53PM
More Discussions
Unable to find decomposed granite - sub granigrit?
Hi folks! Trying to get the Cheiridopsis mix going...
Bama_Joe
What is the name of this succulent?
I'm interested in knowing the names of my plants. I...
frugal_gardening
The tall one and the short one> ID help needed
This is my 2nd or 3rd of this plant and i've killed...
brown_panda
lots of new cactus, but are these 2 going to make it?
HELLO! So, Im new to cactus but I wanted some, and...
n3wport
What is this and how do I propagate it?
I found this little bud/pup at school the other day...
Alex
Sponsored Products
My World 18 x 70-Inch Valance with 3-Inch Rod Pocket
$29.99 | Bellacor
Tile Date Box
$27.99 | Dot & Bo
Disney Frozen Floral Twin 4-Piece Bed in a Bag Set
Overstock.com
Stacey Lamp
Grandin Road
Serena & Lily Wave Dhurrie
Serena & Lily