Id please

paul_t23(Coastal Sydney)September 17, 2009

Hi everyone, had these in clumps in the garden for many years but never got around to finding out what they are. If anyone can help, that would be great.

Flowers just starting to open, petals a cacky greeny colour and short-lived, but orange sepals/bracts stay around for a while:

Leaves fairly stiff, dull green, toothed, dark blue/black in vase:

Sure its a common one but it takes too long to go right through fcbs. Interested in your info. Cheers, Paul

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
matt15(Brisbane)

Paul it looks like some type of Quesnelia but I have no idea which one. Best of luck....;)

Bookmark   September 17, 2009 at 8:45AM
pinkbroms

Hi Guys

Aechmea hybrid, so many of these who knows ???, but the petal colour you have, is a good indication that it is a hybrid with a blue petaled Ae. x with a yellow petaled Ae. take your pick which.

Pinkbroms

Bookmark   September 17, 2009 at 10:09AM
LisaCLV(HI)

It has that Ortgiesia alliance look, but doesn't match any of the species in that group (see link, specifically cat. 2-a), so Ross is probably right about it being a hybrid, particularly given the greyish-lavendery color of the emerging petals. Perhaps Ae. comata is one parent, and maybe cylindrata is the other, or something along those lines. Just a guess, I'm not finding a match searching those as parents.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ortgiesia

Bookmark   September 17, 2009 at 1:34PM
More Discussions
Viresa question
Ok, so I have probalby already managed to kill a small...
cygnwulf
Tillandsia for desert climate?
Hello, I recently picked up an interesting hanging...
desert_jay
seeking info on Neo Royal Flush
A web search gives me a wide range of conflicting information...
pearlbegonia
Hey Nev!
What's going on with the other forum????
gonzer_gw
Please help with ID
Can someone please ID this Brom for me.
gardencraze
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™