Hoh salzmannii

bromaholic(9)September 5, 2009

Hi All...I am the proud (and nervous!) Dad of a Hoh salzmannii; and it sure is a big 'pup.' He stands about a metre high already.

My question is about habitat and growing conditions; any info or experiences that will help me attempt to replicate these conditions as best I can.

Thanks!

Shane

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blue_heeler

Photo please Shane. The size of the one on FCBS is incredible - not exactly for mounting in trees. Do you know what kind of flower it gets? Looks like you've really hit the jackpot this time!

Bookmark   September 5, 2009 at 8:56AM
sdandy

I think it is one of the ones that has been either tossed into the Aechmeas or combined with Ae. floribunda. FCBS has some pictures of it flowering under Ae. floribunda. By the pictures it looks like they can take full sun, but the ones I'm helping care for (and desperately waiting for flowering and seeds) are in pretty shaded conditions and it doesn't sound like they have flowered in that garden. So by those two things I would assume a ton of light if not full sun.

And pictures, pictures, pictures. They are beasts.

This picture doesn't do them justice. Even with the dwarfed Guz flower. Leaves are 5-6 feet long. The cups are a solid 6-8" wide all the way at the very bottom.

Bookmark   September 5, 2009 at 10:56AM
fdnpedro(NSW north coast)

Hi Shane

Pedro here from Europe. Just an idle moment between collections! As suggested the Aussie plants are actually A floribunda which varies a lot. The other Hoh ex NQ but with fragrant purple flowers, H lanata, is also A floribunda. I won't go into why this name problem occurred but I'm sure it has been written about after Derek, others and I did some investigating. The taxonomy is very much Aechmea, not Hohenbergia.

Cheers

Bookmark   September 6, 2009 at 12:39PM
bromaholic(9)

Hi All...apologies for slow recognition of your answers; family crisis!

No pics sorry Jennie as camera is out of action, but it does look a lot like Andy's photo - although not as green. So me thinks mine has been sun grown; which is what I will try with it.

And hey Pedro - nice to hear you made it to Europe safely as well. Enjoy the autumn up there! That is such a long way to go! (Bring back some rain pls!!)

You (and Andy) are correct re it actually being Ae floribunda; and i accept that my lanata is also that - so now I have 2. (At least the lanata is not huge [yet])

I saw Kerry's lanata today and it's just like mine also.

Both my "supposed> salzmannii & lanata came from FNQ sellers.

As they say, 'at least I have a nice plant' that I like and now what it/they are.

Thanks again!

Bookmark   September 13, 2009 at 3:43AM
brodklop

Hi Shane,

How is your Ae floribunda going. Has it set any seed. I'm chasing this one if you want to sell a pup I would be greatfull. Any photos would be appreciated.

Cheers

Brod

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 2:07AM
More Discussions
Problems with scale
Members, Indiana grower here. I have a major problem...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
treated timber
So the time has come to rebuild my pergola where I...
Adam Harbeck
ID please
PAnother blooming that needs ID Thanx Carmen
gardencraze
Viresa question
Ok, so I have probalby already managed to kill a small...
cygnwulf
photo #2 of id - exserta hybrid?
Here is the photo of the bloom spike. my apologies...
Brian311
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™