marleneann(Buderim, Australia.)September 8, 2008

Does anyone grow this Tillandsia?

Is it an easy grower?

How long do the flowers last?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kerry_t_australia(9)

Hi Marleneann,

I THINK I grow T. scaligera. A green-leaved till which I bought several years ago as T. fendleri, turned out to be what I think is likely T. scaligera. It has white open flowers on a single spike resembling a vriesea, and is small to medium in size - approx. 30 - 40cm across - with narrowish soft green leaves.
I tied mine in the crotch of a tree in fairly dense shade. Its subsequent pup post first-flowering is close to flowering size now. I'll certainly take a photo of it when it does flower again. From memory, the flowers last a while, and do the usual flowering one or two at a time up the spike. It is not particularly outstanding, but interesting.
It has been easy to grow with little attention. Treat it like a green-leaved vriesea.

When I questioned the seller of it, he said they had imported two different plants as T. fendleri - one big grower and the smaller one I had already purchased i.e. the T. scaligera (?). So I pleaded for the larger one, and finally got it. Lo and behold - it is not T. fendleri either, but actually Racinae fraseri!

I hope this helps, and good luck with yours.

Cheers,
Kerry

Bookmark   September 8, 2008 at 6:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gonzer_gw

Kerry, T. fendleri's inflo is a sight to see, nothing like R. fraseri, which like most Racinae's, is fairly nondescript. I grew T. scaligeri years ago but cannot remember if it's a night bloomer or not.

Bookmark   September 8, 2008 at 7:04PM
More Discussions
Hey Nev!
What's going on with the other forum????
gonzer_gw
?? Achemea tessmannii
I got this as no ID.. It is blooming and looks similar...
radhavall
id help- tillandsia exserta hybrid?
I traded a friend of mine for this.Its original tag...
Brian311
ID help for a couple of things at Harry P. Leu Gardens in Orlando
I was at Leu Gardens earlier this week and, among a...
gdadtravelinig
Problems with scale
Members, Indiana grower here. I have a major problem...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™