New cacti. ID needed

pedro_cap42(7/6)February 5, 2006

I went to wal mart the other day and was surprised at there selection of cacti, they had a bunch of babys for a buck!! im gonna go there this week and go crazy. any ways i bought this nice one and i was wondering what it was.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrbrownthumb(z5 Chicago)

I may get this one wrong and if I do I expect I will be corrected. But to me it looks like D. flagelliformis also know as Rattail Cactus.

Lets see what the people who know about C&S have to say.

:0)

Bookmark   February 5, 2006 at 10:51PM
cactusdan19(z5b NE)

Pedro,
Looks very much like Hildewintera aureispina (Cleistocactus wintera). If over 1/2" diameter, then yes this is what it is. Usually Aporophyllum flagilliforis is very thin and not well defined ribs.
Dan
Lincoln, NE USDA 5

Bookmark   February 6, 2006 at 9:33AM
fishies(Ottawa z4a or 5)

Aporocactus flagelliformis is my guess.

MBT - what is the "D" in D. flagelliformis?

Shelly

Bookmark   February 6, 2006 at 2:16PM
steve_nz

Cleistocactus samaipatanus is also a possibility.

Here is a link that might be useful: pic

Bookmark   February 6, 2006 at 3:24PM
cactusdan19(z5b NE)

Hey Steve,
Cleistocactus samaipatanus is a good guess, but usually are much thicker than that. Aporocactus is much thinner and really doesn't have straight ribs.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   February 6, 2006 at 6:02PM
mrbrownthumb(z5 Chicago)

Shelly,

The D is for Disocactus. The plant looked like a rattail cactus to me so I did a searh and came up with this;

Disocactus flagelliformis

Common Name(s): Rattail Cactus
Synonym(s): Cactus flagelliformis, Cereus flagelliformis, Aporocactus flagelliformis, Cereus leptophis, Aporocactus flagriformis

But it looks like Dan got this one right. Dan I don't know if you look at C&S in big box stores, but I keep seeing something that looks like Hildewintera aureispina grafted onto some stock. They're usually about 4 cones in a clump not longer than 2 inches. Is that what those are?

Here is a link that might be useful: CactiGuide.com

Bookmark   February 6, 2006 at 6:39PM
cactusdan19(z5b NE)

Look for C&S at big box stores??? Of course I do!!! I even make WalMart and Home Depot a destination for my walks. I think I know what you are talking about, I've never seen H. wintera as grafts, usually those that look like that are either Chamaecereus silvestrii (Echinopsis silvestrii) or a yellow mutation there of. Need to remember, when grafts are on Hylocereus (three angled stock), they usually will grow disproportionately long. I like using Myrtillocactus or Cereus for grafting stock, they are stronger and keep the scions a little more stocky.
Dan
Lincoln, NE USDA 5

Here is a link that might be useful: 2 yr old Carnegiea gigantea on Myrtillocactus geometrizans

Bookmark   February 7, 2006 at 9:11AM
mrbrownthumb(z5 Chicago)

LOL Dan, I guess that was a dumb question. But I figured I should ask because I saw this guy in Borders with a T Shirt that read; "As me about Cacti." So I did and when he found out that I bought them at HD and Walmart he looked as if I had told him I drank wine out of a box and bought caviar from a vending machine. Apparently he was a "serious" collector.

I think you're right about the Chamaecereus silvestrii. I just googled them and they look like them. I think I may end up getting one, the ones I see at my Menards are the brightest yellow I've ever seen. Thanks for the info.

Bookmark   February 8, 2006 at 12:30AM
More Discussions
What is this succulent?
A friend gave me a lot of this succulent, but she didn't...
fre2bme64
What kind of cacti is this?
Anyone know what type this is? Very thick and unique...
gwod1
What kind of cactus is this?
And why is it forming brown rings around the trunk...
rebeccaben
What kind of cactus is this?
My husband brought me a tall thin cactus back from...
gin54
Greenhouse at dawn (photo)
Here's a photo of my greenhouse about twenty minutes...
cactus_cowboy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™