help with brugmansia seeds

jardinerowaMarch 18, 2013

Hello all!

OK so I'm trying to sprout/grow some brugmansia seeds and having trouble with the corky seed cover. I've simply planted some seeds in potting mix, straight perlite, and also doing the baggie method.
Most of them I've left the cork cover on. When I first got the seeds I tried to peel the cover off and it just seemed to fall into pieces in my hands. I was expecting to see the little seed inside but never did, it all came off to easily. So then I tried to soak some for a day before peeling but it's still the same problem. I try to peel the cork off and it all just falls to pieces eventually and I don't know where the cork cover ends and the inner seed starts.
I think I'm just gonna go with the cork and all and hopefully that will work.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vaskirt

I'd soak them a day or two, plant in soil ( just push into soil ) then cover the soil with sand. I personally think the sand helps pull the cork off as they emerge. Keep them misted and not wet or they will rot.

You should be able to see the seed if you remove some of the cork.

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 3:53PM
printmaster1

I second what ednam says.
Just a small amount of sand - 1/16" - 1/8" helps.
Lonnie

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 9:54AM
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

If you are seeing zero seeds then the seeds are probably no good or never really developed well.

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 11:00AM
1Tex1(8 NE Texas)

I planted seeds in November 2012 and the plant is now about 24 inches tall and has its second bloom with more to come. Will have to agree with sultry seed probably not developed.

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 11:15AM
rudy625

Wow,1Tex1,2 blooms from seed in only 5 months !!! Please share your secret for growing brugs. That must be some kind of record,please share !!!!

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 4:04PM
1Tex1(8 NE Texas)

No secret just started with heating pad inside once sprouted I put in a 4 in pot with a grow light and fertilized. Had another one did the same way but it is only a third of that size. In a 3 gal planter now was going to put in ground but am waiting on the blooms to cycle before I do so. Seed were give to me but since the flowers are not hanging think it is a Datura not Brug.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 10:22AM
1Tex1(8 NE Texas)

Just posting picture of plant

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 6:27PM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

Datura !!!!!

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 8:32AM
jardinerowa

Yes I've grown Datura from seed and they've bloomed, I even have three Datura that wintered over just fine. It's the Brugmansia that I have trouble with from seed although I think one just finally sprouted, we'll see if I can keep it alive!

Z

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 12:04PM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

Datura are much easier as they reseed if you don't get all the pods off. Brugs do not do this.

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 5:54PM
More Discussions
quick question
Should I cut off all the bottom growth so I have one...
Monzi zone 8a South Carolina
Malted barley Teas
I always end up with extra cuttings so I root them...
rednofl
brugs for trade
I have these Brugs. Looking to trade. Infinity Phanomenal Tiara Rosa...
maile_2010
goodgirl35us
Angel Trumpet Plant Help Please!
This is a plant my mother gave me right before she...
kevbridg
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™