Aechmea recurvata?

pbunchSeptember 20, 2008

I have a small growing Aechmea I would like to ID. It has strongly recurved leaves with substantial spines. The base of the leaf blade, where itattaches to the sheating portion of the leaf is swollen in a sculpted triangular formation. The inflorescense is barely exserted from the rosette. The bracts are red and the mature fruit is almost black in color.Would this be A. recurvata?

Thanks,

Phil Bunch

Medellin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
LisaCLV(HI)

It does sound like Ae. recurvata, Phil, but without a picture it's hard to be sure.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ae. recurvata

Bookmark   September 20, 2008 at 2:37PM
pbunch

Thanks. After doing some searching for images I'm comfortable with Ae. recurvata.

I have several of these and they are currently planted in a rather heavy potting medium. I'm going to replant them into something with better drainage and areation.

The materials I have at hand are coir, rice hulls and corse coir chips. I have an Aechmea tillandsiodes that is doing well in the corse chips. Is Ae.recurvata likely to respond well to this medium?

Thanks,
Phil
Medellin

Bookmark   September 21, 2008 at 9:46AM
LisaCLV(HI)

That sounds fine, Phil.

Bookmark   September 21, 2008 at 1:17PM
splinter1804

Phil, if there is any likelihood of rats or mice in the area I would stay clear of the rice hulls. I used them many years ago in an orchid mix while living next door to a bloke who had chooks. Within a week plants were dug out and pots tipped over due I think to the rats looking for grain among the hulls. I repotted everything in another mix without the rice husks and no more problems - All the best, Nev.

Bookmark   September 21, 2008 at 6:02PM
More Discussions
Please help with ID Bromeliad
HI folks, A friend has this strange bromeliad and I...
yobenny
how to keep bromelaid til i get home
Hello, a friend gave me bromelaid out of her garden...
drich30099
Bert in a basket
I have an Ae Bert that I would like to plant in an...
dogboy27
ID Please
I'm guessing this is a bromiliad I got it from an...
Biinaboo, Zone 10, Naples, Gulf Coast
What type of brom is this?
This bromeliad is fairly large --at least 3 feet in...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™