I can't believe it - Monarch cats!!

terrene(5b MA)June 18, 2011

Yesterday I was out in the "xeric garden", which is the front southwest corner of my lot next to the sidewalk. It is a hot, dry garden. I'm growing some Asclepias tuberosa, a few A. curasssavica seedlings, and there is some A. syriaca common milkweed that planted itself. Last year I registered as a Monarch waystation, purchased a sign, and installed the sign in this garden. That way, people can read the sign as they pass by on the sidewalk.

I was poking around the garden, and nearly fell over when I looked down and there was a 2nd instar Monarch cat on the tip of one of the common Milkweeds!! I collected the little guy, and searched the other milkweeds in the yard. Found a 2nd little 2nd instar cat on the wild milkweed in back.

I'm about 20 miles northwest of Boston. The earliest I have seen Monarchs here is mid-July. Last year they didn't show up until mid-August. Obviously a female came through the area in the last 7-14 days! If I'd had any idea, I would have looked for more eggs/cats much sooner. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
butterflymomok(7a NE OK)

Exciting news! I hope you get lots and lots of caterpillars, and raise lots of Monarchs this year. This butterfly has had a hard time recently.

Sandy

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 9:53AM
sweet_melissa(7)

Yeah!!!!!! Congrats!

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 10:02AM
bandjzmom(7 NWGeorgia)

Congrats terrene! Wish you the best of luck. It has been a weird season so far. Like you, I never normally see an adult Monarch until August. This year, I have already raised and released 34 adults, and my milkweeds have been covered with cats.~~Angie

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 10:17AM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

Woohoo!! How wonderful!

'Nothing like caterpillars and butterflies to add excitement to one's life!

Sherry

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 10:29AM
terrene(5b MA)

Thanks guys! My caterpillar raising is ramping up! 2 Monarch cats and 1 BST (who is acting very pokey and not progressing past 2nd instar).

It seems that Monarchs are in an unusual migration pattern this year. Hopefully they will be adaptable and find milkweed whereever they go! The common Milkweed in this area is big and budding, so they is plenty of food for cats. Maybe I'll have more than the usual # of Monarchs this year? X my fingers

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 5:55PM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

Congrats Terrene! Hopefully their early start will mean they'll produce more generations this summer before heading south.
I've had evidence of cats on my common milkweed but haven't been able to find any yet this summer.

Bookmark   June 19, 2011 at 10:05AM
coolbutterfly(5A)

Christie, try searching inside the green flower buds or check the smallest seedlings you can find. Those are two of their best hiding places from predators.

Good luck, Tony

Bookmark   June 19, 2011 at 12:02PM
More Discussions
Urgent!
I am worried about my Cecropia cocoon because I went...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Any one ready for spring?
I'm so done with winter! I'm ready for spring . This...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Zebra Longwing Butterfly.
This is a photo, of a beautiful, Zebra Longwing Butterfly,...
woollybear69
Caterpillars on our Acacia
We bought a little acacia a year ago. I'm not sure...
llilibel03
Camera settings for butterflies...part II
The first part of this series on custom settings established...
bob_71
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™