Mother Nature is a &%$#!

karyn1(7a)March 26, 2011

I should have known better and not left brugs outside. It's well below freezing again and snow is predicted tonight. I left several of my larger brugs outside because I'm just so sick and tired of fighting mealy bugs. Of course all the foliage now looks like wet tissue and the tips are damaged. I'm not worried that they are dead or anything but it will take that much longer for them to bloom this season. On the bright side I'll bet the damn mealies are dead. What I am worried about are the super tender plants that I moved into the greenhouse. I hadn't reset the thermostat to 65 so temps were down to around 50 at night. I don't even want to go in there and see what might have happened to them. The past couple weeks with average to warm temps lulled me into a false sense of security and I should know better. We have such erratic weather in the Mid Atlantic. I just hope all my spring flowers and trees that are in bloom or near blooming aren't damaged. So far so good but if we get any amount of snow I think they'll be spent. It figures that the start of the cherry blossom festival is this Sunday. It's too cold to be walking around the tidal basin this weekend. Hopefully the buds will hold and it will warm up next week. DC is so beautiful in the spring.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kasha77

Yes, I just saw a video of the cherry blossoms. Wonderful! I hope nothing is too badly damaged for you Karyn.
kasha77

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 4:20PM
eloise_ca

Oh crap Karyn, I hope you don't lose any of your plants! We had fantastic weather here too, and then it started raining and getting cold again.

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 10:20PM
maile_2010(4 Central MN)

Sorry to hear Karen. Hope it did a number on the bugs.
On March 20th all our snow was gone and on Tues. 3-22-11 we got 8" of heavy wet snow. ICK, enough already.
April 1st is suppose to be in the 50's during the day. Our average for April 1st is 60. Bring it on.
Jerry

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 10:20AM
chena(z8 Texas)

Sorry to hear that.. I sure hope everything will be alright!

I had to haul everything back in yesterday.. They were calling for temps in the mid 30's.. I guess I should be happy I hadn't put them in the ground yet!!

Kylie

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 11:40AM
karyn1(7a)

We only got a dusting of snow and it was gone as soon as the sun came up but it's still cold. The only damage I can see is the brugs that I left outside. I did take a look in the greenhouse and everything is fine. Once I move plants outside that's it, I'm not schlepping them back in. I really should take a ride to the farm and check the seed trays that I started in the big GH. Hopefully Rolando has been taking care of them.

I just want consistent average temps already. I'd be happy with that for now. It's the up and down extremes that are a PITA.

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 1:04PM
More Discussions
WANTED: Rooted Cuttings. Any Variety
I spent a small fortune on small UNROOTED cuttings,...
poohbearlvr
quick question
Should I cut off all the bottom growth so I have one...
Monzi zone 8a South Carolina
angel trumpet seeds
im getting ready to bid on some white and purple angel...
jeannie75
Finally able to retrieve my brugmansia....now what?!?
Hello everyone. I am hoping one of you experts will...
rnb68
Screwed By 7servant7
Well, Take a Look At The Picture 7servant7 Is Displaying...
byrd4460
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™