Butterfly Season Thrills!

bandjzmom(7 NWGeorgia)June 15, 2011

Well, I am just thrilled to be seeing the butterflies again. I just saw my first Pipevine of the season, and I am seeing Tigers, Eastern Tailed Blues, Gray Hairstreaks, Great Spangleds,a Hackberry Emp, and even a couple of Sulphurs. My raised bed is coming along well, and the zinnias have begun to bloom now. Sherry, that Zowie Yellow Flame is the prettiest thing I have ever seen. Thank you for recommending it. I can't wait to see the butterflies on it. My little Virginia Snakeroot is coming along, and I even discoverd some White Veined Pipevine in a spot along the fence where I had long ago planted the seed and given up hope!! The 2 Spicebushes are doing well. The Passionvine is coming up. I've raised and released 34 Monarchs already, and I have 6 Black Swallowtail cats/chrysalides in my tent. Found them on my fennel. The 3 Pawpaw trees are looking really good, and I've planted lots of Tropical Milkweed and Senna in the yard too. My fondest wish is to see a Zebra and a Giant this year. I am always hoping for them. It's shaping up to be a fine year!~~Angie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

Congrats, Angie, on such a great year!
If you get a visit from a zebra swallowtail that would be wonderful - I've only gotten a few visits over the years.
Of course, eggs - well, I don't even have to comment on that!
I love the Zowie zinnia, too -

Sherry

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 9:46AM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

Congrats, Angie, on your sightings and your hopes and dreams for future sightings!

Things are getting a little better here, too. I have Red Admiral eggs, BST eggs, and Pandora sphinx cats. The Hackberry and Tawny Emperor butterfies are all over the fruit feeder. Some of the largest Tawnies I've seen to date. I await the arrival of the Gulf Frits.

Susan

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 11:31AM
butterflymomok(7a NE OK)

Congrats on your butterflies! Yes, this is the season I live for! Love my butterflies. Hope one of us sees those Zebras this year. Seeing lots of Great Spangleds and an occasional male Diana Fritillary. Just love these guys.

Have a wonderful season.

Sandy

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 11:50AM
bandjzmom(7 NWGeorgia)

Thanks you guys!! Sherry, that is a beautiful picture. The Ladies and the Monarchs always remind me of stained glass. Susan, I haven't even put out any fruit this year. Maybe I should just do that. You never know what might show up. The Zebra is always a dream butterfly, isn't it Sandy? I have 3 little Pawpaws in my yard, and my hope for Zebras is the only reason that they are there. :o) I never see Giants here either. I saw one last year, and it flitted through very quickly. It explored the neighbors's Rue for a bit, and then it was gone, never to be seen again.~`Angie

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 11:59AM
More Discussions
Florida Butterflies.
I have posted before. I live in Sarasota, Florida and...
jane__ny
Seed Trade
I have a bunch of new packets (unopened, this season)...
msmorningsong
Did anyone watch the Monarch Butterfly segment on CBS Sunday Morning?
This was interesting and inspirational! The speaker...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
Forum changes due to Houzz
I'm never happy when somebody buys up a website I use...
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
Journey of the Butterly
PBS stations are repeating The Incredible Jouney of...
flowerpowerx
Sponsored Products
Steve Silver Tulsa 6 Piece Counter Height Set w/ Leaf
Beyond Stores
Sugar Plum Rocker
Overstock.com
Lite Source Trey Tripod Director's Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
6' Treated Pine Amelia Single Rail Garden Bridge
Fifthroom.com
PW 774001 17.3 ft M3 Green Wire 50 LED Christmas Lights
EnvironmentalLights.com