Huernia hystrix flower buds shriveling and dying

Joey1987March 7, 2012

Last month I bought Huernia hystrix and H. zebrina. The hystrix has started to develop new flower buds, which seem to be developing up to a point and then shriveling and dying off. The plants are currently indoors and only get about an hour of direct sunlight very early in the morning. This sunlight is not enough to hurt the plants, because my Phalaenopsis orchid also seems to be liking it (no signs of sunburn for the 4 months I had the phal). I live in South Africa. Right now it is summer, but it is not hot enough for the plants to be suffering (end of summer, approaching autumn). What could be the cause of the buds dying off? Is there anything I can do? The medium is very well draining and I water very carefully. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosemariero6(z10 /ss24 So. Calif.)

Not that I have personal experience with this particular stapelia, but I believe when they are in a growth period, they need more water. Otherwise, you'll experience bud-blast. I also think your Huernia would enjoy more sun/more heat. Are you able to put it outside?

Good luck with it!

Bookmark   March 7, 2012 at 4:55PM
More Discussions
Pleiospilos Nelii
I just purchased one at Lowe's in a 2 1/2" pot....
elizabethk1
leaf/plant id
Does anyone know what this is? Picked it up of the...
amynoacids
Fenestraria aurantiaca
Back in September 2014 got a few seeds in. this was...
tanpexoctics
Cactus ID help
Can anyone ID this? 2 year old plant. Popped up in...
jmichigan
Unable to find decomposed granite - sub granigrit?
Hi folks! Trying to get the Cheiridopsis mix going...
Bama_Joe
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™