Milkweed allergies anyone?

bobbi_socal(SoCal 10)June 1, 2007

I've read the posts & FAQ about the terrible eye injuries sustained by contact with milkweed sap, but has anyone ever had any other types of reactions to handling milkweed like nausea or anything?

I'm just wondering if anyone has experience other allergic reactions to it.

Bobbi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

Not me, and I have big time allergies, also asthma. I haven't handled it a LOT, but enough that if I were going to be allergic to it, I'd have known.
The only problem it creates is the eye damage due to the abrasiveness and/or toxicity of the milky stuff - I wouldn't let a baby around it, since they tend to put everything in their mouths.
MissSherry

Bookmark   June 1, 2007 at 2:13PM
mboston_gw

As with anything that oozes a milky sap, I welt up from it. I have some kind of milkweed vine and it really bothers me if I cut it and the sap touches me.

Bookmark   June 1, 2007 at 3:44PM
leubafr(z8/9)

No, but I got it in my eyes a couple of years ago and will NEVER touch it and then touch my face again before I wash my hands. Be very careful getting it on your hands and then touching your face. It is extremely painful and costly.

Leubafr (Mary)

Bookmark   June 1, 2007 at 4:03PM
tdogmom(9)

Never had any issues with handling it EXCEPT for the eye...been there TWICE (accidentally, no less, and let me tell you, it is NO fun). I constantly wash my hands anyway, since I work with Kindergartners but with the Milkweed I have to constantly remind myself, "Don't touch your face when you are in the garden, Sherry!!!"

Bookmark   June 1, 2007 at 9:47PM
More Discussions
Camera settings for butterflies...part II
The first part of this series on custom settings established...
bob_71
Help for monarchs?
US Fish and Wildlife is spending some money to save...
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
Urgent!
I am worried about my Cecropia cocoon because I went...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Monarch Caterpillars out of food!
I grow a few milkweeds for the monarch butterflies,...
SoFL Rose z10
Ordered seeds.
I ordered some seeds today and was wondering how I...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™