Butterfly Bush Leaves Turning Yellow

KathyTNJ(6)June 11, 2011

I planted a butterfly bush about a month ago. The leaves are turning yellow. Anyone have an idea what it could be? It's supposed to have white flowers, but none yet.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kr222(6b)

Too much water or too little nitrogen can cause yellowing leaves.

Here is a link that might be useful: My butterfly gardens

Bookmark   June 11, 2011 at 2:31PM
rexedwardfairy(Zone 11)

Thanks for the info. At first, I thought I was overwatering mine (causing yellowing leaves and brown leaf tips) but now I'm thinking it's more a case of they don't like to dry out completely at all...

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 9:02PM
imabirdnut

I lost 2 butterfly bushes this summer that were new this year.(I currently have 10 healthy bushes around in differnt locations) I think mine were stressed from our heat & then I overwatered them & "drowned" them. I think they prefer good drainage & don't like "wet feet"! Did you amend your soil where you planted it? Add rooting stimulator to help it get established?
I also tried several times to grow one cultivar 'Blue Chip' in containers, in different locations & for some reason...never could get it to thrive like the other bushes have. Luckily I had purchased them from a local garden center that has a 1 Year warranty on their plants. I had wanted a small cultivar & now have 2 of the 'Flutterby Series' that I've just recently planted. Hopefully, they will do better!
Good luck,
Lila

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 10:42AM
More Discussions
Lemon Mint Monarda - Annual, Perennial? Reseeds?
I feel like this question could be posted in 5 different...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Spring preview
Unseasonably warm temps caused early flowering of desert...
joncongaroo
Sleeving
In another thread ladobe wrote: >Sleeving in the...
drzoidberg
Camera settings for butterfly photography
One of the finest pieces of marketing I have ever witnessed...
bob_71
Florida Butterflies.
I have posted before. I live in Sarasota, Florida and...
jane__ny
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™