Cactus ID request

biwako_of_abiApril 7, 2006

Someone gave me this over a year ago. It was in a pot with no drainage holes, but had also been given practically no water, so it escaped rotting. When I got it, it consisted of several fairly straight cylindrical stems, but now the tips of the stems have turned into round balls. Was it etiolated before, but now catching up and becoming fatter? Is this cresting, and if so, can it have been brought on by the change from a meager existance to (comparatively) the lap of luxury with sun, fertilizer, and water?

And above all, I would appreciate an ID for it.

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

Cereus peruvianus (or hildmannianus) monstrose. It looks like it was a bit etiolated but is more normal now. Not crested, but a different kind of deformity. It was always that way, the base species is a normal columnar.

Bookmark   April 7, 2006 at 7:26PM
buckhem

You are correct about the new growth. This one has done exactly the same thing after I put it in the ground.

Bookmark   April 13, 2006 at 8:09AM
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

A handsome plant, one of the few crests/monstrose forms I would have in my house!(Used to have a small one, )

Bookmark   April 13, 2006 at 4:43PM
cactijoe(z5IN)

Looks like a CP Monstrose. Mine is a bit more compact. Noticed it had a scale on it and the old No Pest Strip in the empty fish aquarium cured it.
I have not come across Cactuspolecat as of late. Anyone have the skinny on CP from Tasmania? -CJ

Bookmark   April 13, 2006 at 10:26PM
More Discussions
ID this cactus?
I got this little guy from Al's about a month ago....
allyhaas
Help with identifying this cactus
Hi Everyone. I got this cactus at the Huntington Garden...
oregonplantnut
Greenhouse at dawn (photo)
Here's a photo of my greenhouse about twenty minutes...
cactus_cowboy
What kind of cactus is this?
And why is it forming brown rings around the trunk...
rebeccaben
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™