Tillansdsia

krystyna1937September 28, 2011

Greetings. I'm visiting from the bonsai forum. Here's my problem:

On impulse, I just bought a Tillandsia in a 4" nursery pot and lots of instructions about how easy it is to look after. But then I read contradictory advice: Tillandsias don't like to be wet, just "misted"; Tillandsias like their roots in spongy most soil; they like bright light, they don't like strong light.... (I do know they don't like direct sunlight).

Mine is the green kind with a lovely pink/fuchsia fan/flower/topknot -- very cute.

For now I've moved it to a ceramic pot about 6" tall, 4" wide with all'purpose potting soil, watered it in and misted its leaves a bit. I've placed it under a "grow light" with African Violets and other indoor plants. This may be all wrong or it may be perfetct.

Can anybody help me with clear instructions?

Many thanks, Krys

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bromeliaddict(z6 MI)

Krys,
The genus Tillandsia is huge, with more than 400 spp. It sounds like you've picked up a Tillandsia cyanea. It should do very nicely with your African violets. You can keep water in the rosette of leaves. Water in the pot (roots) every 5-7 days. It will appreciate some occasional extra misting.

Paul

Bookmark   September 30, 2011 at 4:42PM
krystyna1937

Paul,
Thank you for your advice. In the interim I've been searching the Internet and it seems that as long as I don't drown the roots, my plant should survive. So I modified my set-up by moving it out of all that rich soil onto a shallow bonsai dish and wiring it over a nice rock, keeping the soil that was still clinging to the roots. I've been misting it but now I'll add some drops into the rosette too.
Tell me if I should not have moved it out of the deep pot.
Krys

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 11:56AM
bromeliaddict(z6 MI)

Krys,
In the wild, T. cyanea is usually found as an epiphyte, though it seems to be a rather adaptable little plant. I have grown it successfully for years in a pot, and I have grown it mounted on cork. Overall, I find it easier to grow T. cyanea in a pot with a mix of shredded cypress bark/ composted pine bark/ perlite/ and Candian peat moss. Here's a photo of one of my nicer specimens:

Bookmark   October 3, 2011 at 11:43AM
krystyna1937

T.cyanea, eh? Has that anything to do with cyanide, perchance?
Should I keep cats away from it, or it from cats?
Thank you for your reply. It's been an experience trying to get that picture out there.
Krys

Bookmark   October 3, 2011 at 4:00PM
hotdiggetydam

LOL no not cyanide.. I think it refers to color
FCBS.org is a good place to learn about bromeliads.

Bookmark   October 3, 2011 at 11:02PM
More Discussions
Aech ampla
Does anybody out there grow Aech ampla? Do you have...
avane_gw
hotdiggetydam
Problems with scale
Members, Indiana grower here. I have a major problem...
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
Is this a bromeliad???
I got this from my aunt, who wasn't sure what it is....
embolton0620
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™