Are these echeveria seeds or ???

snarkyinlaMarch 10, 2012

Several months ago my Echeveria bloomed, and later became covered in black spots that I assumed were seeds. They don't seem to move around but after all these many months, I'm not so sure anymore. The plant doesn't seem the worse for wear, but I'm surprised they are still there after all this time.

Can anyone take a look and tell me if this is anything I need to be worried about?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snarkyinla/sets/72157629189795590/

Thansk in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosemariero6(z10 /ss24 So. Calif.)

Eek! Yes, something to worry about...but not too hard to get rid of...those are aphids. You can hit them with a jet of water to knock them off, or use a spray of rubbing alcohol to kill, then wash off, or you can squish them, by whatever means. Since they are on the inflorescence, did you already have blooms? If so, you could just cut off the bloom stalk. Looks like buds to me, though. If you want to see undamaged blooms, best to get rid of the pests first. :)

If you want to see these move, get a magnifying glass-you'll see their itty-bitty legs! :P

Be sure to check the rosette for more-but I believe they mostly hang out on the inflorescences. Follow-up in a few days or a week to make sure they haven't returned.

Bookmark   March 10, 2012 at 1:23PM
Ron4310

Mix a 1/4 tsp of hand soap, not detergent, in a liter of water, mix and spray all over.

Bookmark   March 10, 2012 at 1:37PM
pennyhal(11Sunset23)

That's a pretty heavy infestation. You'll need to be checking the plant daily and killing any new aphids for a week. Then recheck every few days until you stop seening them. They can hide out in small places. I just had a few on an Echeveria blossom stalk. It took a couple of weeks for me to clear it up. It'd look fine for a couple of days, and out of nowhere, another one would show up.

Whatever you use, make sure you really wet it so that the crevices get wet too. Since they are in a pot, the problem with using a jet of water is that if you have to do it more than once, the plant can get too wet. You could also go to a nursery and buy some lady bugs!

Bookmark   March 10, 2012 at 2:42PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Those #$&%^%$ black aphids! Spray with alcohol, and repeat and repeat every day until they are gone.

Bookmark   March 10, 2012 at 7:24PM
More Discussions
Completely peat-less potting soil
The fungus gnats are having a party. The party is on...
asclepiad_fan
stumped with succulent
Hello everybody Please forgive my ignorance but i have...
cvalessa
Unable to find decomposed granite - sub granigrit?
Hi folks! Trying to get the Cheiridopsis mix going...
Bama_Joe
What is the name of this succulent?
I'm interested in knowing the names of my plants. I...
frugal_gardening
Help ID'ing two plants please
I purchased these at a plant show last weekend. They...
808cs
Sponsored Products
Ridgely Studio Works | Globe Table Lamp
$440.00 | YLighting
River North 1-lt Outdoor Lantern
LBC Lighting
Sagamore Post Lamp
Lightology
Root Vue Farm
$24.99 | zulily
Newton Outdoor Postmount by Troy Lighting
$396.00 | Lumens