will weed and feed hurt the milkweed??

bluebirdbabe(z5 MI)June 6, 2011

My husband put weed N feed on the flower garden before the milkweed came up. Will this hurt the milkweed for the monarch caterpillars??

Thanks,

Karen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

It depends how the weed and feed works. If it needs to be absorbed into the leaves, then you may be OK. I'd worry about any other plants in the garden that may have already been up when he sprayed. My understanding is that Weed and Feed type products will attack any broad leaf plant. So, basically anything but grasses/lawn. If the product is one that absorbs into the ground and attacks the root system, then you might be in trouble. I've been amazed at how sensitive nearby plants are to what I thought was a controlled/focused treatment of a single plant with Round Up. I guess even a slight breeze can carry a light misting of chemical much further than you realize. Use great care when applying any chemicals.

Martha

Bookmark   June 6, 2011 at 3:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bluebirdbabe(z5 MI)

it wasn't sprayed. It was sprinkled on the ground and it did not hurt my flowers and the milk weed has come up looking very strong. I think it is the kind that gets absorbed by the roots. So I guess I better be safe than sorry and get the milk weed from the back field right??

Bookmark   June 6, 2011 at 4:21PM
More Discussions
Spring preview
Unseasonably warm temps caused early flowering of desert...
joncongaroo
Looking for a source of beautiful, realistic fake butterflies
I am helping a friend decorate her baby nursery. I...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
Camera settings for butterflies...part III
The quality of your photographs relies on proper settings...
bob_71
Camera settings for butterfly photography
One of the finest pieces of marketing I have ever witnessed...
bob_71
Help for monarchs?
US Fish and Wildlife is spending some money to save...
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™