Need some help with identifying random plants, please

monkeybelle(7A NJ (Camden County))June 29, 2011

I have 2 random plants that I am desparately hoping are not weeds! I also can't figure out how to upload a picture into a post, so I am failing at both gardening and technology today! I'm including a link...

I planted a ton of both butterfly weed, and zinnia seeds well over 2 months ago but neither one showed up to the party. Might the plant in the first pic be butterfly weed? It looks large in the picture but its actually about 4 inches tall. The second could be zinnia? (It's growing near an already-established zinnia that I bought after I gave up.)

The third picture is just me showing off my first-time butterfly garden. We had a rough start with animals eating everything but seem to be picking up now!

Any ideas/thoughts/feedback would be greatly appreciated! I tried looking up weeds online to try to figure out if I should just yank them out but its a pretty hopeless adventure if you don't know the name of what kind of weed it might me! Thanks so much in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: Unknown plants

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ericwi

Photo 1 is Asclepias tuberosa, aka butterfly milkweed. Photo 2 looks like a milkweed, but not one I recognize. I would give it time, and see if it flowers.

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 12:13PM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

The second picture is a zinnia.
Your garden is lovely!
Sherry

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 12:36PM
monkeybelle(7A NJ (Camden County))

Thank you both so much! And exactly what I was hoping to hear, too! My husband will be happy to hear, as I let him pick the zinnia seeds...although he made it a mission to pick the "loudest" color he could find. I'm sure the red and white striped flowers are going to be an interesting addition!

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 1:16PM
mechelle_m(z9 TX)

Your garden is lovely. Welcome to your new obsession, butterfly gardening. It definitely is a worthwhile hobby and very satisfying. Hope you get lots of butterfly visitors and they lay lots of eggs for you.

Mechelle

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 2:10PM
msmorningsong(SW FL 10A)

Do butterflies like zinnias? Which butterflies, and are there favorite cultivars of zinnia they prefer?

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 4:12PM
coolbutterfly(5A)

MS, Here is a link to an old thread about butterflies and zinnias Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Which zinnias attract butterflies

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 9:29PM
monkeybelle(7A NJ (Camden County))

I am certainly hoping for many "visitors"...there were a good number of butterflies that passed through my yard last year without any gardens, so I really just wanted to convince them to hang out a little longer this year! My work hours are cut back for the summer so I need some sort of hobby to keep me occupied until September! I also love taking pictures and am looking forward to some great shots.

Everything here is pretty much trial and error based on internet research...I came across a couple sites that claimed zinnias are good for the local butterflies here in south Jersey. We'll see!

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 10:41PM
More Discussions
Monarch Caterpillars out of food!
I grow a few milkweeds for the monarch butterflies,...
SoFL Rose z10
I have Dill up,and growing well,but
Some of it is large containered,and some is In the...
dragonflydee
Monsanto and monarchs
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2015/01/27/monsanto-we-are-absolutely-committed-to-monarch-butterfly-conservation/...
arkpollinator
"showy milkweed" asclepias-speciosa plants available
For your information: Milkweed plants currently available...
mary_littlerockar
Urgent!
I am worried about my Cecropia cocoon because I went...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™